1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gold Cup: USA 2, Canada 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigDog, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So the final is at 2 p.m. CST? Anyone know what channel it will be on? I watched some of the games on Telefutura in Texas, but I'm guessing Seattle doesn't get that channel.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Anyone know where I can find a video of this play? I'd love to see it, being a patched ref and all.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The final is going to be on Univision (Spanish language feed) and Fox Soccer Channel (English language feed).

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks. Why the hell is ESPN or one of the networks not showing the final?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't know. I assume the obvious that Univision outbid them for the rights (probably due to the amount of Latin teams, particularly Mexico).

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Pastor, you know of any site that has video of the questionable offside call online?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not yet, sorry.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

ESPN wouldn't have been bidding against Univision, unless it was for the Spanish-language rights (for ESPN Deportes' sake), right? I assume that Fox Soccer Channel bid for the English-language rights, and that ESPN could have done likewise if it so chose. But it seems like ESPN is more interested in showing friendlies (for both the U.S. men and women) rather than tournaments, which require more of a commitment and more flexibility in scheduling.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FSC only showed the US games. They didn't play anything else. Because of this, I am of the belief that it is a rights thing. The US games were granted English rights fees to FSC, not ESPN, because of the ratings hit that could happen.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Short, highlight clip:

Longer clip with more match highlights from the Canadian broadcast:

Neither has a great examination of the play.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

]
    I hate to correct you Pastor, but the touch by Onyewu doesn't make a difference. It's when the ball is last played by a teammate, meaning Onyewu was playing both attackers onside. Canada got robbed on this one.

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I can't wait to see how quickly SJ.ca runs here if the Mexicans win the final.

Draft saved Draft deleted