1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going wireless @home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son talked me into it and set it up. I was balking but his selling point was the whole dump thing. Trust me, dad, you'll love this. You won't have to stop when you head to the can.
    He's right. I love it. When the kids are home and the wife and I are here working, we'll have four laptops cruising around the house. If there's a slowdown, we don't notice it.

At his place, a college townhouse complex, you can pick up literally 100 different signals. I'd say 80 of them are unsecured.

Wireless is gold, Jerry. Gold.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Throw in the WEP as well.

Good deal knocking out the broadband thieves.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Pastor, I've had a few problems with speed using WEP.

I'm going to investigate it further, but I had forgotten that part, too. Thanks.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

did you buy the little adaptor from the TiVo web site? once i bought it (i think it was $50), i got my TiVo on wireless immediately. not only that, but i can download stuff on my TiVo to my laptop (although i have no use for that since i don't travel anywhere) and i can remotely set things to record if i forget to do it on the TV or whatever.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I didn't buy it on the Web site, but i bought the same one they offer on the Web site. It worked the first time I tried it, but hasn't connected since. Says it can't find the network. :(

6. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Markvid, do you know how to set up the protection with the WEP? That's what I have with my linksys wireless. I didn't quite figure out how to set it up on my wireless system. However, my neighborhood isn't that savvy, so it's not a huge problem.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

We bundle house wireless with cable and the phone. It's a nice setup. And that stealing signals: We had a softball team playing late in an upscale residential neighborhood, and our writer was able to file by using the wireless signal from a nearby house.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Our Web guy was telling me a story last night about driving around some neighborhood recently while he was out of town, looking for a signal so he could update the site. That's be the early 21st century equivalent of "I had to balance my computer on the water cooler at the Cracker Barrel and send from the pay phone."

At our house, we can pick up 3 or 4 other signals routinely - only one of which is unsecured. I suspect it's the Megachurch that's within sight of our back deck, but that's just a guess. We don't use it, anyway.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A couple weeks ago, I drove for 10 miles, pulling into random hotel parking lots, to steal wireless to file a story. Every one I found needed a security code or a room number. Sucked.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i was on the road and needed to file... called some good folks i know in that town and they were at work, so they couldn't help me out. but pointed me to a panera bread (which always has free wireless) and i sat in their parking lot, wrote my story and sent it from there. good to know people lots of places

11. And nobody in any of those random hotels asked you to come in?
    What's wrong with men anyway?
    (I can make these jokes, IJAG, because you helped me realize that I'm going to die next August.)

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not if I meet you before then.

Draft saved Draft deleted