1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going wireless @home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Just need a quick dose of fiber and I'll be firing off IMs left and right. And I'm not sure if that was a euphemism or not. Let's hope not.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe you can set up the webcam and keep everyone in the IM club happy.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

The one thing I'd highly recommend to all is to use MAC filtering so only certain computers and devices can get on your network. In other words, keep everyone else in the neighborhood from skimming off your high-speed you paid for. Also, it keeps you a little safer from viruses and hackers.
    I had opened up my network a couple of weeks ago so my brother could use it while he stayed and helped my wife with babies while I was on the road. I forgot to lock it down and when I saw my speed had gone down significantly, it was because 4 other machines outside my home were sucking up bandwith.
    Now, 2 of them foolishly shared their hard drives while trying to hack me and look inside my drive.
    One of them, I deleted a few of their files (all their word documents, excel files and music files).
    The other had nothing on their drive to amuse me, but I did nuke some stuff just to make a point to them.

If you have any questions on how to lock down your wireless network, please PM me.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Eeeewwwww. I'm not that desperate for buddies, dammit!!!

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sure. I have always liked Al Gore the person. Covered his first Congressional re-election campaign, am still good friends with people on his staff ... even turned down a (insignificant) job on the VP's staff in 1992. ... thought, for a long time, that he represented the future of the Democratic Party that I wanted to be a part of .... but somewhere along the line our views diverged. ... the Al Gore you see on TV isn't the same guy he is in person.

Well, I assume ... it's been a while.

People who know him say the same thing about W (and Clinton, and GHWB Bush and Reagan, etc.), of course.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

You should write a book, HH. In this environment, you'd probably sell a ton of copies to the right side of the aisle.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DSL is amazing.

I got my wireless setup in August through AT&T. (I had to do it because my paper canceled its free dial-up accounts.) They had an introductory offer of $12.99 a month for the first year.

All you do is plug the wireless unit into a phone line and that's how it gets its signal. Very easy to set up. Comes with wireless and ethernet cable, so I can hook up my home computer to ethernet and use my work computer at home via wireless.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

What she said, except I don't have any buddies to IM.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What's your AIM? I'll IM ya ;)

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ummm... that would be a BM.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

One of my neighbors has the wireless set up in their condo and it is great. I am able to "borrow" the signal for nothing. It saves me about $60 a month.

If that person ever leaves, there is another signal that I can get

Thank you neighbor.

On a serious note, I got the wireless card from Verizon as part of my work setup and it is fantastic. I had a moderately long bus trip recently and was able to get a lot done during it. With our discount, it runs only $45 a month with unlimited minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted