1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going Web-only a flop for them

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've always argued that U.S. readers behave differently from those in other countries, so I never take what happens in Europe as an indication of what will/won't work in the United States. So I link to this not as a gotcha, but just FYI.

As reported by WSJ and linked to on Romensesko, Finnish financial paper goes Web-only and finds a 75 percent drop in revenue and, after an initial increase in Web traffic, no real increase over the traffic it had before killing the print edition. Of course, "Since Taloussanomat cut its newsroom, there are fewer original stories available on the site."

We likely can't judge for ourselves whether their Web site really blows, unless any of you read Finnish.
  2. jps

jps Active Member

frank, grandpa can, I think. it's a chunk of my heritage and I've looked into learning the language, but it's hard as hell to figure out. still, God bless the Finns and their sauna. (pronounced correctly, saw-OO-na)
  3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thank the Finns more for Jorma Kaukonen, but that's just me.
  4. jps

jps Active Member

not just you. probably mostly. but not just.
    (that's not to take away any love from jefferson airplane, of course, but we're talking the saw-OO-na here!)
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Site doesn't look too bad.
Draft saved Draft deleted