1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going vegan, advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that I would reach out to two or three vegans in the community, perhaps through vegan restaurants or natural food stores.

Having a fellow reporter to consult it good, but getting wider input might be better. And it would allow you to meet folks and have experiences you might not otherwise.

You'll probably have to read ingredient lists on any prepared foods for nonvegan stuff you might not have thought would be in there.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, if I come to yours, it will not be happily.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or once again show lack of understanding about something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Advice? Don't start thinking you're better than the rest of us...

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

For one week, I will be be :p

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

They do want a first person account, but I will be hitting up a nutritionist and trying to track down other people as well.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You REALLY want to revisit one of your stupidist moments on here (and for it to reach the top of that list, it must have really been dumb)?

People who eat fish aren't vegetarians. By definition.

They obviously aren't vegans either.

Only a dolt would serve fish to a vegetarian and sincerely think he was accommodating the person's dietary wishes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you may be overthinking it.

That said, you can go on an all oreo and pop tart diet and call yourself a vegan. (Oreos and pop tarts really are vegan; so are Doritos, but only the "sweet spicy chili" flavored ones).

So it depends how you want to go at it.

You can be a really unhealthy vegan, eating a variety of crappy, processed foods. And you would be fulfilling your assignment. But you wouldn't be getting the same experience if you use the week as an opportunity to eat mostly whole, natural foods. You might want to try it that way. Just eat lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains. Rice is fine, but don't go for white rice, which is processed (and didn't exist until relatively recently). Eat natural wild rice or brown rice, which doesn't have all the nutrients stripped out. Rice and beans. Rice and veggies. Fruit. You can get through just a week doing that, even if you aren't used to it.

9. azom

azom Member

Get used to reading ingredient lists. Every ingredient counts in veganism.

Be careful of things with gelatin in them. Gelatin isn't vegan.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A friend of my wife visited from out of town last year. She was described as a vegetarian.

So, we took her to the farmers market, which is spectacular, and where there's a crepe stand that makes awesome crepes, with fresh market ingredients.

We walked over to Whole Foods for lunch one day, and went to a fancy vegetarian restaurant for her birthday.

Turns out, while she doesn't eat meat, she's not much of a vegetarian. She's more like a mac-and-cheese-etarian.

She ate like crap. Scarfed down cookies and candy, and barely ate vegetables. She was completely unadventurous. She didn't get a crepe. (I don't think she got anything at the market.) And, she picked at many of the dishes at the vegetarian restaurant. (We did a multi-course tasting menu, and everything was delicious.)

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Be careful what beer you drink!

I think I may have told this story on here before. I have a really good friend who has been a hardcore vegan for 15+ years. He stopped drinking Molson products IIRC because he found out they used fish oil to clean the lines in the brewery.

He joked that it seemed over the top but said if you are comitted, you're committed.

ETA Vietnamese and Thai restaurants are now probably your best bets for eating out.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Indian too. Italian is very easy too. Plenty of pizza and pasta dishes you can do.

Draft saved Draft deleted