1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to smaller paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Sep 18, 2007.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I would assume that you're explaining your duties somewhere in any future job hunt, either on your resume (recommended, briefly) or in the face-to-face interview. That will alleviate any concerns if your title isn't changing (such as moving from Staff Writer, Big Metro to Staff Writer, Smaller Daily).

If you get a new title out of the deal, then you've got nothing to worry about. For example, a few years ago, I went from assistant sports editor at a 250,000 daily to executive sports editor at a 50,000 daily -- in the same market, no less -- and nobody's blinked an eye. From my perspective as a hiring editor, I'd see no obvious red flags with someone who moved from big-market preps to middle-market pros, or from copy editor at a metro daily to desk chief at a small daily.

I'll also echo some of the thoughts above: Sometimes, life is much sweeter when you're swimming in a smaller pond. It all depends what you're looking for. After all, money ain't everything.

As an aside, after moving to the small paper from the big paper, I left newspapers entirely -- going to a monthly magazine with a circulation that's slightly more than half the small paper's. I got a huge pay raise, better hours, better benefits and far more job satisfaction, and I'm still doing journalism. Niche publishing -- whether it's a local newspaper or an limited-audience magazine -- is where it's at, as far as I'm concerned.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I left a paper near my hometown and a lot of friends there because I grew to dislike my boss and the job. I moved to a smaller paper about 100 miles away and a job I like a lot more. It's not paradise, and the social life took an enormous hit, but the job is much more satisfying. Given the same circumstances, I'd do it again. And the social part is starting to come around, too.

The point is, it's not all about titles and circulation. It's about what you want and what you want to become. People ask why, you tell them. They don't like it, it's their problem.

To quote Rick Nelson, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

3. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I actually made a move like that...I went from a small urban daily in a two-paper town to a paper that's a little more rural.
    It was more money, and I went from a sports copy editor to a sports editor. My advice is that there should always be a benefit to a move to a smaller paper: More money, more responsibility, different job duties, whatever.
    But I wouldn't make a move just to make a move to a smaller paper.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

buck, don't be so sure.

Big papers aren't for everyone. There's no way to know that for sure unless you try it. Sometimes, a move to a smaller paper is what's needed/wanted, regardless of the job, title or paycheck.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Absolutely. And I presume most people would have plenty of reasons to make such a move.

I was only questioning his line that he "wouldn't make a move just to make a move to a smaller paper." I don't think anybody does that.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But if being at a big paper makes me depressed, overworked, I can't sleep, etc...then I would be going back JUST to be going to a smaller paper.

The fringe benefits aren't things like "More money, more responsibility, different job duties, whatever" as Walter said. To me, that would be making the move just to make the move.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes, but if you were moving to a smaller paper for peace of mind reasons -- which is a damn good reason, I think -- would your peace of mind really improve if there was less circ pressure but the job still sucked? There would have to be other reasons, right? Whether the pay's better or it's a promotion or the job description is a better fit or the hours are better or the demands are less stressful or the location is better or you like the people better or you're closer to family/friends, etc., etc.

Something is making that move beneficial for you, hopefully a lot of things ... not JUST being at a smaller paper, which is what Walter said.

Nobody makes a move traditionally seen as downward JUST to move "down." They make that move because they see these tangible (or intangible) benefits as outweighing the "down." Otherwise, what's the point of making the move if it's not going to make you happier?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yes, my peace of mind would improve even if everything else stayed the same.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I suppose I should amend my argument by saying it also depends where you're at in life. At 25, I didn't have a problem with all the BS of a big newspaper. Now at 50, I don't need the headaches. That's not to say there isn't BS at the smaller newspaper, it's just more manageable.

10. captzulu

captzulu Member

I'll share my experience: When I was about 24, I moved from my hometown paper, where I broke into the biz (about 50,000 circ.) to a much bigger paper with about two and a half times the circulation. As it turned out, I didn't like the new city or the new job (too many layers of management, too many hoops to jump through to do any design that's slightly out of the ordinary). Nine months later, I moved back to my old paper (with a significant paycut but it was still a salary that I was satisfied with and was higher than what I made the first time around) for a job that had basically the same responsibilities, except in an environment where I had much more control over my work, and I was living in a place that I liked much better, with friends and family close by. I can honestly say I have not regretted making that move for a second. Like any other job, there were some frustrations, but the move was good for my life outside of work, and I enjoyed the atmosphere at the office. And because I had more control over my work, I was able to do a lot of strong design that I likely would not have had the chance to do at the bigger paper. That strengthened my portfolio a lot, and in subsequent years, I was courted by papers of all sizes, including several that are bigger than the one I had left after nine months. So my take is that a move to a smaller paper won't necessarily hurt your career and can even help it if the situation is right (such as having more freedom/control). After all, it's your portfolio that counts most when you're trying to land the next job in this business. Just make sure you have good reasons for making the move other than you just want to get out of the situation you're in now.

11. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I'll rephrase.
    I wouldn't make a move to a smaller paper just as a way to get out of an untenable situation at my current employer.
    Better?

Draft saved Draft deleted