1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to New Mexico in April

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Feb 7, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Any New Mexico suggestions for a wayward traveler?

We'll be traveling from April 18-22 and flying into Albuquerque with a likely extended stay in Santa Fe.

Hotels, restaurants, activities, etc. Never been to New Mexico and know virtually nothing about the state. So any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Santa Fe is wonderful, so much to see, especially art.

If you're into it, the UFO Museum in Roswell is decent enough. It's a nearly 4-hour drive from 'Querque/Santa Fe, and it's a pretty boring-ass drive with little to see along the way except for tumbleweeds. If you *do* happen upon Roswell and want world-class Mexican food, Popo's is the way to go.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Santa Fe is one of my all-time favorite places. If you like hiking, there's a great trail that starts at St. John's College and goes up a few miles to the top of a high ridge.

4. Mira

Mira Member

If you stay in Santa Fe, I suggest getting a hotel on or near the plaza. The art galleries are stunning.

On one trip we stayed at Inn of the Governors, which is nice. The Del Charro Saloon, the hotel's bar/restaurant has amazing food and margaritas at super reasonable prices. One of my favorite places.

Another good place to stay is Hotel Santa Fe, just off the plaza.

One of the best dining experiences we had was at The Shed, located on the plaza. Another must-stop, if you like burgers, is Bobcat Bite. They serve a green chile cheeseburger which is the best burger I've ever had.

We went to the musem at Los Alamos, and it's enjoyable if you're into history.

I've gone horseback riding in Taos on several trips to New Mexico. We went riding along the Rio Grande and the terrain is unreal. I'm no expert, and for a beginner, had a fantastic experience.

I really like hanging in Taos. There's not a ton of things to do, but if you like wandering around, checking out art and eating and drinking, it's worth it.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

In Albuquerque, take the tram ride up to the top of Sandia Peak. In April, it will still be cold up there to be sure to take a coat.

If you have time for a drive, take a ride to Canyon de Chelly and/or the Four Corners for spectacular scenery.

The Los Alamos museum is a good place to spend an afternoon.

Enjoy...

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Ride the tram to the top of the mountains. It's worth it. Try to pick a clear day (shouldn't be hard to do).

Sadies is great Mexican food. Pretty damn spicy though so be forewarned. No matter what anyone says, Gardunos is not good Mexican food.

Albuquerque has one of the best zoos in the country.

Blake's Lotaburger has great fast food and is everywhere. Great breakfast options, and their green chile cheeseburgers are awesome.

The Plaza in Santa Fe is pretty good, and the Palace of the Governors is interesting.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Somehow I managed to read the thread title as "Going to Meixco Jail" ... this is not nearly as exciting. Sigh.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you can make the stay longer......go to Angel Fire.

Especially if you like golf.

Good friend of mine has a condo in Red River. Beautiful, beautiful country.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the Blue Corn when went through NM, but Santa Fe is one of those towns (the older part) it's just fun to walk around for a few hours. The churches, the galleries, the state capitol. Fun to explore and find your own hidden gem. Old Town ABQ is fun. If you are a fan of the original Red Dawn you can see some of the "invasion" locations in downtown Las Vegas, NM. Soccoro is about an hour south, where the Very Large Array is located (seen in Contact) and Socorro Springs Brewing is worth a visit. Hit downtown ABQ at night to see the Rte 66 hotel signs lit up.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I forgot about the Albuquerque zoo when I posted above but I totally agree that it is an excellent zoo and should be on your list of "Things to do".

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The Atomic Museum at Kirtland AFB is worth a visit. They have the broken arrows from the B52-tanker collision off of Spain in the 1960s on display. Informative and makes you think quite a bit about how lucky we are that none have been used in combat since 45.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. Booking a room at the Inn of the Governors and will for sure be making a lunch stop at Blake's Lotaburger.

Draft saved Draft deleted