1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to London ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Jun 15, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I kind of agree. It's cool that it's so "close", but Paris is pretty damn big. And remember that it's really going to take you three-plus hours to get there, once you add the hour for the time change. You'd get it back at the end of the day, obviously, but if you leave at, say, 7:30, it's going to be nearly 11 by the time you're *in* Paris.

If you're in any way connected to journalism, St. Bride's is worth a visit. It's in Fleet Street and has long been the printers'/journalists' church. I'm not religious, but I still definitely feel a sense of being at home when I visit.

Check out Borough Market (basically under London Bridge). Have an ostrich burger.

It will either be sunny and 75 or pissing down rain and 62 the entire time you're there.

And stop by the office. I'll buy you a pint. :)

(And yes, the exchange rate is a bitch. Expect, essentially, to pay the same figure in pounds as you would in dollars, with an exchange rate of about $1.65 to the pound. There's a reason I don't think about what things cost in dollar terms.)

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I am glad to hear that there is no warm beer. :)

And yes, we have pretty much scrapped the day trip to Paris. Yes, it's a shame to be so close and not go, but it's okay. There really will not be enough time for us to enjoy London to the fullest as it is.

We do plan on going on the London Eye. I am thinking that the BF might actually propose to me on it :) (but that's a secret! SHHHH!)

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

To up the romance quotient, go at night.

And seriously, buy your tickets in advance. You don't want to have to wait on a huge queue.
    If you're interested, Buckingham Palace is open for tours during at least part of August. I went about 7 or 8 years ago and really enjoyed it. You actually get to see rooms that are used in ceremonies and the grounds were pretty. Again, you have to get tickets in advance.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You can get decently-priced West End tickets if you buy in advance. I think my group and I went and saw The Lion King for $65/ticket.

St. Paul's is magnificent. The Eye is spectacular at night, but I'm pretty sure that's another "buy in advance" thing.

Do pack for all weather. I went there in June and it was jeans weather the whole time (probably about 60-65) and rained almost every day.

We took a day trip to Windsor Castle and it was pretty awesome. Also, I know a lot of people here have mentioned the beer, but make sure you have a proper cup of English tea and scones while you're there. I was too young to drink on my first trip, but the tea and scones were amazing.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Two friends have gone to the "Fashionista" tea at the Berkeley Hotel in the past few weeks. It was total fun - cute pastries in the shape of various fashion-y things. I've been to tea at the Ritz and years ago at Harrods. Tea at the Ritz was stuffy and pricey, but it was lovely and a ton of food. They kept coming by to replenish and I found it well worth it. Yet another thing you need advance reservations for, though.

6. Mira

Mira Member

We took the train and went to Wimbledon. The museum is amazing and the tour is superb. We got to sit at Centre Court.

Also, I highly recommend taking time to see a show in the West End. There is a half-price ticket booth and we saw Le Miz on our trip. As good as any show on Broadway I've ever seen ... plus the bustle and vibe of the West End rocks.

We also rode the Eye ... which was another spectacular experience. The views are incredible.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He sees this, he may high-tail it to Paris and leave you in London.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or go to Paris and hightail it back on his own, taking the Last train to London...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One of the more obscure ELO references possible.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Everton vs. Spurs at White Hart Lane August 13 if you're into that sort of thing.

British Museum is a must.

Churchill's warroom is a must.

Indian restaurant is a must.

If you like theater, All's Well that Ends Well is playing at the Globe

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't bring me down, dools.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. Let her hold on tight to her dreams.

Draft saved Draft deleted