1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to London ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

So, the boyfriend has won us a trip to London.

For those that don't know, he works for a company as a food salesman/distributor (main competition in my town with Sysco, which a lot should be familiar with). Last year, he worked hard and sold food like crazy and won us a trip to Canada. And by winning, I mean: airfare, hotel, taxes, dinners, lunch money, one excursion, all tips, etc. covered. Sure, we spent some of our own money on personal souvenirs, drinks by the pool, etc. But in the end, we were only down a few hundred for a TRIP TO CANADA!

Well ... we found out today that he qualified for and won a trip to London for us. We leave August 11 and return on the 16th.

A few things we plan to do (outside of the company-planned activities) is a walk across Abbey Road at a designated time (so folks back home can watch us) and a train trip to Paris to spend the day there.

What say you, SJ Nation. Anything else with our limited time we should do? Besides drink warm beer?

And feel free to be jealous. ;D

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Bring an umbrella, although when I went I had gorgeous weather.

So much to do, though. Depends on your interests. I thoroughly enjoyed the Tower of London.

Wanted to see a show but didn't get to.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Look to the right before you cross the street.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did the Eurostar to Paris from London once. It's pretty awesome and gets you there quickly -- about as quickly as a flight, when you factor in the trip to Healthrow/getting through security. You do do security for the Eurostar, but it is more relaxed.

Book it in advance. Tickets are much less expensive when you book economy for a specific date and time. The tradeoff is that changing the ticket is costly.

The seats are really comfortable and the thing books.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A trip up to Hampstead Heath is pretty cool.
    Jack Straw's Castle is a great pub and on occasion, Peter O'Toole has been known to stop in for dinner at La Gaffe -- the only bed/Italian restaurant I've ever seen. Not bed and breakfast.
    Imperial War Museum is cool and walking down the Queen's Walk to Buckingham Palace down the Birdcage Walk to Westminster Abbey was cool. Still floors me that I could buy a shot glass from a church...

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

We are anxiously waiting for the itinerary so that we can book the Paris part of the trip. We have heard that it is best to buy them in advance. At this point, it will cost us about $300 round trip.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Not going to lie ... I am pretty excited about getting to see the Palace and Westminster Abbey.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

St. Paul's Cathedral is as dominating of a building as you'll ever see.
    Something else that floored me: Prawn-flavored potato chips....

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I don't know about all that ...

And I am a little scared of warm beer.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SMUGGLE ME IN YOUR LUGGAGE!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Get your cowboy hat and go down to Marble Arch station.

Draft saved Draft deleted