1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going To Jacksonville for Gator Bowl ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by icoverbucks, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

St. Augustine Beach is wide open this time of year, even though it's in the 70s and the water is warm as well.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Some of the best barbecue I've ever had -- and I'm a certified judge, for what it's worth -- is at Mojo's on Beach Boulevard, about three miles east of the beaches. It's in an upscale strip mall (which ordinarily would be a warning sign because the best barbecue is usually found in the rundown parts of any city) and the atmosphere is sort of blues bar-esque, with the music to match. It's a Memphis-style 'cue, which is my second favorite after Kansas City style, with a touch of Southern and Cajun flavorings. You will not need sauce for the flavorful ribs, but they have their own concoctions if you want 'em. Throw in some collard greens and some mac 'n' cheese, toss back some iced tea or something harder from the bar, and you're living well.

As noted, head toward Ponte Vedra Beach for some golf. Sawgrass is great, obviously, but if you have a chance to play either of the courses at Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, you'll enjoy the experience. (Disclaimer: PVIC and its sister Lodge & Club is a former client of my company, and the people are darned nice.)

If you have a chance, check out St. Augustine, if not for the historical aspects then for the bars and restaurants.

The last Gator Bowl I covered was in 1991. Don't remember much about the bowl week festivities, but I'm sure my memories would be obsolete anyway, some 20 years later. What I mostly remember was attending a New Year's Eve party in Gainesville, staying up until 4, waking up at 6 and driving 90 miles of state highways to make the 11 a.m. kickoff. (Never again.)

3. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

Fireworks:
    Hit The Landing on New Year's Eve. None better outside of Disney. The fireworks go off at three spots, sychronized together, so that you don't have to stand in the most crowded spot in the middle of the Landing. Keep in mind the Jaguars have their last home game on Jan. 1, so it won't be just the college crowd at The Landing this year.

Sports bars:
    Sneakers
    Any of the Ale Houses spread around town (NOT downtown)
    Bogeys, A1A, Ponte Vedra Beach

Golf:
    TPC, two championship courses including Stadium Course, Ponte Vedra Beach (but I don't think you can walk up at a place like this). If they have a deal for media, take it!

Beaches:
    Jax Beach
    St. Augustine
    Ponte Vedra (but nearly all areas in Ponte Vedra are private behind $4 million homes, there are a couple of public parking lots 3-4 miles south of Ponte Vedra)
    Beware: It's winter. The temp is as likely to be 48 degrees as it is 70. This isn't Fort Lauderdale. Better to watch the ocean from inside a warm hotel bar on the beach.

Music:
    Free Bird (the former Lynrd Skynrd place)

Shopping/restaurants:
    St. Johns Town Center, 20 minutes south of downtown

Daytona:
    Only 90 minutes away

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

St. Johns Town Center is pretty awesome. If it's not the largest outdoor shopping mall in the southeast, I'd like to see what's bigger. Well, maybe I wouldn't. Especially around the holidays.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's a few more ideas ....

Golf, if not at the TPC Sawgrass
    1. Champions Club at Julington Creek.
    2. Hyde Park (built in 1925, still public, a Ross course, dirt cheap and in good shape). The chicks at the clubhouse bar pour heavy. $3 Captain Morgan's that are almost doubles.
    3. South Hampton.

Restaurants
    They've built a ton at the St. Johns Town Center. Among the new ones are Seasons 52, J. Alexanders, Mitchell's Fish Market and a California Pizza. They already had a P.F. Changs, Montana's and Bahama Breeze.
    There's an area generically called Tinseltown (for the movie theaters) that have a Mellow Mushroom and a Copeland's.
    If you go to St. Augustine, try to eat at Osteen's, Oasis, Barnacle Bill's, Zaharias, Sunset Grille, Rhett's or Gypsy Cab. Google or ask anyone in town.

For single guys, chase at the Beach. The Sun Dog, the Ritz, Lynch's and Ragtime are the best in Jax Beach or Neptune Beach. If you're in Ponte Vedra, try to hit Urban Flats on a Wednesday or Thursday for happy hour.

If you can't get on the TPC Sawgrass, the clubhouse is worth visiting. They've turned it into a museum or sorts for the history of the Tour and The Players Championship. The best feature is down one hallway where every Players winner since 1981 has given them one club from their bag the week they won to put on display. The clubhouse grille (called "19") has happy hour from 4:30-6:30 from Monday-Saturday. But it's not 2 for 1 ... it's half-price on wines by the glass, draft beer and well drinks, and selected appetizers. Good deal and a good atmosphere. You don't need a gate pass. Just tell the security guard at one of the two gates entrances you'd like to go visit the clubhouse. They'll give you a day pass and directions, and will be very nice about it.

If you ask one of the volunteers in the clubhouse (before 5 p.m.), they will arrange for a cart to take you out to No. 17 to see it and a take a few pictures ... that is if you know you can't play for whatever reason.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is a Florida chain (forgive me) called Harry's that does very good seafood. Maybe the best scallops of my life were at Harry's in Jax Beach.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can second that for Harry's in St. Augustine. Great location, great chow.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit. Where was all this info when I was going to Jax somewhat regularly!?!?

I won a bundle at a dog track one night, all by luck. Walked in, went to the window, played an exacta box on my favorite numbers on four races that were about to go off on the simulcast screens. Three hit, one of them for a considerable chunk.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'll admit to being geographically challenged, but that sounds like a distinctive location.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Watery: Beach Boulevard is the street that runs from downtown Jacksonville TO the beaches, not alongside them.
    Let me add one recommendation. Eat breakfast one morning at the Beach Hut in Jacksonville Beach. And get the sausage patties.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This thread is starting to make me hungry.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I lived in Jacksonville from early 1986 through late 1987, and simply, if you can't find something fun to do and something good to eat and drink in Jacksonville, you're not trying very hard. Even my (now ex) wife enjoyed our time in Jacksonville, although she wouldn't have discussed politics there. But you can definitely have a good time and/or get into as much trouble as you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted