1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to confession today. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can't you just throw out some minor ones and if the priest asks if that is all, say "Hey, I plan to be sin-free from here on so I gotta save some for next confession, Father."

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Are there things you're genuinely sorry about? That's how it's supposed to work. As for the "uncomfortable" aspect....yeah, that means you're doing it correctly. Who wants to review all the stupid/rude things they did and verbalize them?

The payoff is if you're a person of faith, you walk out with a clean slate and no record, which probably lasts until some jackass cuts you off as you try to exit the parking lot.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yadda, yadda, yadda

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You can't yadda-yadda the best part!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can; it's just not right

6. lono

lono Active Member

Bless me father, for I have sinned. 3,928 kittens have died since my last confession ...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You've had a busy week then...

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That made me laugh out loud. the parking lot at my parents' church is the biggest mess you've ever seen. You wouldn't believe the stuff my dad would mutter as we were leaving church.

As for confession, I'm a lapsed Catholic who hasnt been there in years and years and years. This does, though, remind me of an interview I had with our deacon as I prepared for Confirmation. It was a quasi-Confessional as he asked me if I've been a good person, etc etc. I told him the truth, that I didn't steal or lie or do anything like that.

I also was truthful about church. "I don't go that often," I said.

You should have seen his face drop. I thought my Confirmation was toast. "Uhh ahh uhh you've really got to go to church more often," he said.

In retrospect, maybe I should have lied for my mom's benefit. She goes to church every week yet the deacon probably thought she was a deadbeat mom who had her kids living in a Godless household.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, all the good intentions I get from church generally don't make it to Minor Parkway...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Tell him:
    Father, it's been about 27 years since my last confession. I'm glad to have the chance to unburden myself. I can't carry this around with me anymore.
    It was me.
    I let the dogs out.

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I was raised Catholic and I never quite got the concept of confession. It seems like a sacrament created by busy-bodies. It's not enough that you repent to god. You need to tell a priest so they can be up on the dirt.

On the days I do believe in god, I don't believe he needs me to tell another person of my sins (and a lot of shit the church says is a sin, I'm not buying either) to forgive me.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The priest has the power to perform the absolution.
    Do you believe you need a priest to transmute the bread and wine into the body and blood?

Draft saved Draft deleted