1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to confession today. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Apr 2, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

You're all very funny - and going to hell!!!

Seriously, though, as I look over the big 10 rules, you learn that there is more than their literal meaning. For example, "Thou shalt not kill." Pretty straight forward. I haven't killed anyone.

But along with murder here's what else that commandment really encompasses (according to http://www.ewtn.com/library/Prayer/examconscience.HTM):

"Have I endangered the lives of others by reckless driving or by driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Do I show contempt for my body by neglecting to take care of my own health? Have I been mean or unjust to anyone? Have I held a grudge or sought revenge against someone who wronged me? Do I point out others’ faults and mistakes while ignoring my own? Do I complain more than I compliment? Am I ungrateful for what other people do for me? Do I tear people down rather than encourage them?"

Hmmmm, yes, yes, yes, yes...

2. girl friday

girl friday Member

what he said.

but if you must, probably best to tell the truth.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I regret trifling with married women, I'm thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards, I deplore my occasional departures from the truth, Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday Sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I've killed in anger, and those I am about to...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Slappy sounds like a lousy Catholic but a fun guy to pal around with.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So nothing about hiring a contract killer? Whew!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I won the answer in a card game with this guy

[​IMG]

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Bless me Father for I have sinned, I haven't been to confessioin since I was in 4th grade.
    Now, if you want to listen to everything I've done since then, we could be here for a few hours. Or, we could just skip the gory details, admit that I've done a bunch of bad things that I'm sorry for, and get right to the penance and absolution part.
    Amen."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ya know, I would love to be able to get away with that. I dont think my parish priest would find the humor in it...

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I think you try to make the priest vomit. And that's pretty hard. Play THE ARISTOCRATS angle of confession. Make the guy crap his sacred garments.

Just as it's impossible for a convicted killer to serve out a 938-year term, go for the craziest kind of penance the priest can lay down on you. That's what I'd do.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think westie is onto something here.

A good start would be,

"Priests can't rat you out to the cops, right? We had to leave that Protestant church because of a mouthy choir director. May he rest in peace and all that."

11. You know what they say about Catholic reporters: They're good at what they do because they're used to questioning authority and the guilt they feel compels them to work long hours.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not religious, but I was raised Catholic.
    If you've got to go, take the confessional. That face-to-face confession is bullsh@t.

Draft saved Draft deleted