1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Cameron

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Get ready to have fun with (or dealing with) the Crazies, depending on your place on press row.

I agree with the others who have said that while the atmosphere is still fairly nice, it doesn't come close to what it will be come time for the Atlantic Coast Conference schedule, and an even more far cry from the Chapel Hill game in Durham.

Note the coordinated cheers, how quickly they spread and the stark contrast between the fans above and below the brass rails.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Kirk or Candice?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dude, enjoy every second.

One of the things on my must-do list before I die. Watching a game at Michie Stadium is another.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The UNC women's basketball team plays at Carmichael at least some of the time.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

True. I was talking about men's game. For that matter, N.C. State's women play all of their game at Reynolds.

Actually, because of renovations of Carmichael, I believe UNC's women will play all of their games at the Smith Center this season.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If this thread was about Cameroon, I could help.

Alas...

7. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Everything I was going to say.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Thought for a second there, you meant to say Cameroon, Africa.

Definitely wear short sleeves as it gets rather toasty in there. The worst is being in Cameron Indoor for a high school graduation in June. I've seen several folks being taken outta there on stretchers ... doesn't include Cherokee Parks, though.

Also, if you see a rather inconspicuous building that looks nothing like a gym, then you know you're at Cameron.

And if you hear a woman yelling profanity after profanity, no need to ask anyone her name. It's spelled Mickie Krzyzewski.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Covered two games there. Duke-UNC sometime in the mid 1990s and a McDonald's All-American game in 2001 or so. Atmosphere is crazy, but the place is a dump.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike Duke, I wouldn't say it's a dump (unless you're in the visitor's locker room.)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Michie Stadium games are wonderful to watch, even if Army has had one great season in 20 years.

One of my favorite Duke stories is from the 80s when the N.C. State player (I forget, Washburn or Shackleford) beat up a pizza delivery guy, then the Duke fans threw pizza boxes on the court when N.C. State came to Cameron.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chris Washburn didn't have a pizza incident, but he did steal a stereo. The Crazies bombarded him with album jackets and various stereo bits.

Shackleford didn't do anything wrong, except murder the English language. He was too busy being "amphibious" (sic).

There was the shoe incident where NCSU players were selling off spare pairs of sneakers. Guess what the Crazies threw on the floor before the game. The N&O staffer claimed it was 50-75 pairs of shoes in a story the next day. My mother got a ticket to the game and said that estimate was very, very low.

Then there was Maryland's Herman Veal, who was under suspicion of sexual misconduct. He was greeted with women's panties and various forms of birth control. That's when then-president Terry Sanford wrote a letter to the student body and asked the students to be "clean but clever" and G-rated for television.

Sure enough, Chapel Hill was the next home game. Posters hailing "Welcome Honored Guests" went up. IIRC, Dean Smith was presented a dozen roses. The "bullsh_t!" cheer was mothballed, and instead of waving their arms during UNC free throws, signs went up saying "please miss."

Enjoy, pern.

Draft saved Draft deleted