1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Baltimore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Nov 25, 2011.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

OK, so I'm going to Baltimore next weekend, and, while I'm open to suggestions, I mostly want to know about the observation deck of the WTC.

Does anyone know when is the best time to go? Is it even open at night? Is the view better during the day? Is it too much of a touristy thing to do (if I'm a tourist, shouldn't I be allowed some touristy stuff)?

Right now on my docket are Fort McHenry, the Maryland Science Center, the National Aquarium, 34th Street in Hampdon (apparently a really cool display of Christmas lights) and -- possibly -- the Top of the World WTC thing.

Again, I'm open to suggestions. If any of those is stupid and not worth it, please let me know. If there is something better to do, please tell me. I'm pretty much there for one day, and I want to make the most of it.

Thanks, in advance, to all my fellow SJ peeps.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If you hear somebody whistling 'Farmer in the Dell" ... duck.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Best crab cake in town is at Faidley's in Lexington Market.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The Top of the World is an easy way to kill a 1/2 hour or so, but I don't think it's something you have to do. The view isn't all that bad, but it also isn't all that high (this is only Baltimore).

You might want to think adding the USS Constellation, and I think there's a sub there too, to your list if you are interested in that sort of thing.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Crabs and pit beef?

6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

And if you do, head on down to the Hamsterdam area. They'll take care of you. Tell 'em Bunny sent you.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Maryland Sports Museum (next to the warehouse at Camden Yards) is one of the best sports museums in the country, even if you're not that interested in the Orioles, Ravens, Colts, etc.

And when you're done, MAKE SURE to walk across the street to Pickles Pub for a bite to eat (and drink). It looks like a dump, but it's worth it.

The Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum is also a neat experience. It was the first sports museum ever dedicated to an individual player (opened 1974) and even though most of the non-Ruth stuff that used to be housed there is over at the much larger Maryland Sports Museum now, it still retains a lot of charm.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Submarine is very cool.

G&M is the best crab cake among people who live in Baltimore,804 Hammonds Ferry Road | Linthicum Heights, Maryland 21090

THe B&O RailRoad museum if you like big old trains

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Baltimore is a dirty, ugly city.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://chapspitbeef.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The sub you're referring to is the USS Torsk, which I believe was the last U.S. ship to sink an enemy vessel in World War II, if not ever. There's also the Coast Guard cutter Taney. I've visited all three vessels during various trips to Baltimore.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That pit beef place is OK. But it's in the same parking lot as a strip club, and there's a liquor store and check-cashing place nearby, so you could probably make a day of it in the vicinity if you're so inclined.

Draft saved Draft deleted