1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Atlanta ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Well, I got in at 8 a.m. Got to my hotel and found out they wouldn't have a room for five hours. Less than an hour later, game was postponed. So I spent 57 minutes on hold with Delta to get a flight out today at 2:55, returned my rental car ($80 for less than four hours) and after taking 90 minutes to get through the longest security line I've ever seen, I'm sitting at the gate hoping my flight isn't delayed past 5:20, which is the latest departure time.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, your Atlanta experience is essentially condensed down to the one Atlanta landmark I know IJAG despises: the Atlanta airport....

Safe travels and good luck with the flight.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have never even seen snow up close, but I would imagine that anywhere in the southeast would be unprepared for snow because it comes so infrequently. Seems to me from watching the coverage that the cars don't have the proper tires and can't get up even the most gradual inclines when they are iced over, so they are stuck or just leave the cars on the side of the road. Crazy that a city of that size can just be almost shut down like this.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does the list of factors include silliness and foolishness?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I call it Somalia.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

This should tell you guys all you need to know about what did (and more pertinently, DID NOT) happen in ATL, and why: http://www.businessinsider.com/atlanta-traffic-2014-1

7. TwoGloves

The road I traveled between the airport and my hotel (which I never checked into) was basically ice free. All mile-and-a-half. The hotel road was all ice. For as many people as they were putting through security, it went very smoothly. But that doesn't mean it didn't suck in a major way. Then I was delayed three hours. Can't say I'm looking forward to going back although I really did want to try some of the restaurants you guys suggested. But I'm finally home 16 hours later with a story to tell.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Presumably, the game will be re-scheduled and when you come back to town, the weather will be nicer and you'll be able to actually enjoy all of our excellent suggestions. If you come back in April, though, bring your allergy meds.

9. TwoGloves

I might let our other NBA guy take the game this time!

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Game will be made up April 8. Should be a bit nicer then.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Which could be parlayed into a trip to Augusta as well. Now that's a good way to experience GA.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

April? Make sure you know where the tornado shelters are located.

Draft saved Draft deleted