1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Atlanta ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Well, somebody doesn't want me to try out all these great suggestions you guys have given me. Now, my second flight was canceled. I'm going to try and get out Wednesday morning but since the problem seems to be on the Atlanta end, I'm starting to doubt it ...

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah I don't think you're going to make it. My friend's wife has been driving for three hours and she's not even halfway home, for a drive that normally takes 45 minutes. It took me 2 hours to go 12 miles to get home when I left early when I heard how bad it was. I drove past four accidents. They keep cutting to planes on the tarmac and talk about all the cancellations. I'm guessing the airport will be a ghost town for a bit.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How much snow is there?
    Headline I saw online said 1 inch.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Take bread and milk, you'll make a fortune selling it on the black market today.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Set Milk-Con 4!

My wife was just looking at the traffic cameras from Atlanta and laughing. For us in the mountain, snow is part of January and February. For folks in Georgia, not so much. Be safe out there.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Houston's was our favorite restaurant while growing up in ATL, there's one in Buckhead and another in Lenox. The chicken tenders aren't on the menu anymore but they'll make 'em if asked. Delicious.

7. imjustagirl

According to the news, it's now 2 inches in metro Atlanta.

Here's a photo of I-20 as of 6:25 p.m. People are just abandoning their cars on the road. They're running out of gas from the 5-6 hour commute. It's like a zombie apocalypse out there!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Starting to think I won't get out in the morning ...

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Same as 1996. I was on the Perimeter:

After an inch or two of snow fell in Atlanta on Sunday, a city of highways unaccustomed to extreme winter conditions became a city of slide-ways. By today, hundreds of inexperienced Southern drivers had slipped and skidded across icy and snow-covered roads and into trees, retaining walls and each other.

Cars spun 360 degrees, city buses swerved uncontrollably into oncoming traffic, and critical stretches of interstate highways closed down while police cleared multicar pileups. Hundreds of drivers abandoned vehicles on the roadside. Fender-benders became so numerous that many Atlanta area police departments stopped answering calls unless accidents involved injuries.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/09/us/the-blizzard-of-1996-the-nation-from-boston-to-atlanta-everything-stops.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The governor declared a state of emergency.
    For an inch of snow?

11. imjustagirl

IT'S TWO INCHES.

And yes. Down here, that's the equivalent of 12 inches in the North.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I remember Houlihan's in Marietta as being a hotspot. Of course that was 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted