1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to Atlanta ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Gonna be there next week for a couple days and I've never been. Anybody got any tips on spots to eat, things to do, people to meet ... places to avoid???? I'm staying out by the airport but I'll have a car. Thanks in advance.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I always get a kick out of the World of Coca Cola. There is also a really good gyro place over near the Sheraton. A lot of folks like to eat at Varsity's.

Be advised that every other street has Peach in its name.

3. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

I did the civil war cyclorama years ago. It was neat.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Civil Rights tour.

IJAG is the board's resident HotLanta expert.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The Cyclorama kicks ass.
    Go the The Varsity and get a couple of dogs.
    Go to Stone Mountain.
    Underground Atlanta is cool to see. It's nothing special by way of what's there (and it smells), but it's worth a few minutes' walk through.
    It's no different than any other, but I always hit the Hard Rock when I'm in town.
    We always go in the summer, so running through Centennial Park and going to a Braves game won't work so much.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DO. NOT. GO. TO. THE. VARSITY.

jesus, people.

The aquarium is amazing (was the biggest in the world when it opened) if you're into that sort of thing. World of Coke is fine, but I don't go because I'm a Pepsi girl. :D My favorite pub is Six Feet Under, which is named because the original is across from Oakland Cemetery, which has the graves of Bobby Jones and Margaret Mitchell among other. If there's a pretty day (not warm, but clear and nice) you should TOTALLY go walk around the cemetery. It's beautiful.

Look me up when you're down here if you want to. :D

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The Varsity is fun for the atmosphere, but if you want an actual, edible burger, go to the Vortex.

8. imjustagirl

YES. The Vortex. That's a must-do. There are several locations. Great burger.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

IJAG, I'm not saying The Varsity is any kind of destination, but if you've never been, it's certainly worth checking off your list.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I went to Vortex with IJAG once. I'll vouch. Although I was the guy who went to the great burger place and didn't eat a burger, I heard a rave review.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

"What'll you have?!!!"

Been to the Varsity twice and had the Lewis Grizzard double chili dog combo.

Miss that guy.

12. imjustagirl

I just don't get this. It's the largest drive-in. Great. You can drive past it and say "ooh the Varsity" and check it off. You don't have to subject yourself to luke-warm, soggy food to say you've seen the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted