1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to a concert alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

I spent the time either watching the bands or shooting photos. I've got 173 pics posted from the ATL Warped on my Facebook page. Not bad for someone who's old enough for admission into the Reverse Daycare. This year I spent all of three minutes in the RD tent.

2. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

Saw the Black Keys alone not too long ago. My only mistake was going too early and having to sit through the opening act and then the break between them and the Black Keys. Felt a little self-conscious standing there nursing a beer.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Seen and done all kinds of things by myself. Allows me to come, go and walk around when I please.
    It's a lot easier to fly solo going to a club show (which I did all the time - I won tickets on radio at the last minute for almost any show I wanted to see at Lupo's or the Living Room in my younger days) than a larger venue. I had to for the Cure a few years ago at Great Woods because my wife got sick that day and she insisted I go without her.
    Best time I've had going to a game alone: Bought a single old Boston Garden obstructed view ticket for $6 from a dorm mate the morning of an '81 Celts-Sixers game. Good thing the seat to my right was empty - I had to lean over there to see the action on the right side of the court.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you talk to yourself if nobody else is listening?

5. Okay...I'll let everyone in on one of the biggest "secrets" about the arena concert industry. Promoters generally hold back a huge chunk of the primo seats. Some of the seats are given away by the promoter to various clients (along the lines of "wine and dine") and the rest are to be used by the performers for their guest lists. Thing is...the performers generally don't use up all the seats allotted to them. Wanna know what happens to these seats? They are sold to the general public (through Ticketmaster or whichever ticket service) anywhere from two days before the concert up to just a few hours before the doors open. And your chances of scoring one of those primo seats is higher if you're going to the show by yourself. Here's a few of the shows I've been to using this method:

Pink Floyd "Division Bell" tour: First of two nights at Texas Stadium. Sold out show. I bought two 20th row seats at noon the day of the show at the Ticketmaster booth at Sound Warehouse (took the then Mrs. LSS). Great seats. Center section of the floor. Close enough to see the band members and far enough back that the entire stage filled the peripheral vision.

Farm Aid: Another big one at Texas Stadium. I bought a ticket at Ticketmaster for myself two days before the concert and was on the 13th row.

KISS: 1996 at Reunion Arena (Dallas, TX). First leg of the neverending "reunion" tour. Bought my ticket at the RA box office about three hours before the doors opened. Seventh row center.

KISS: 1997 at Key Arena (Seattle, WA). Bought one ticket at the KA box office. Somewhere between row 20-25.

Yeah...those shows were some years back but this method still works. I checked when The Police were in town a few weeks back. The morning of the concert I could've gotten a third row seat. I just couldn't justify paying $225.00 for it so I passed. I'm sure Ticketmaster found somebody else to buy that ticket.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I try to keep those conversations silent.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I am considering this for Minus the Bear.

Draft saved Draft deleted