1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to a concert alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, Aug 5, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I went to a small show by myself a couple months ago. My friend flaked on me, and it was a band I wanted to see for the last decade. Being in a new city, I decided the chances of that band playing 15 minutes from my house were pretty slim.

I'll probably do it again, but I didn't prefer going solo. But, shit. Why pass up a chance to see a favorite band because no one is going to tag along?

I have never gone to the movies alone, though, despite my grandma telling me, "It's the way to go."

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Went to Gin Blossoms 10 days ago alone.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Were you the only one there?

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Handcuffs?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Gone to concerts on my own, and I'd do it again.

Then again, I do plenty of other things on my own.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

I end up alone at the movies a lot, too, mostly because I'm the only person I know that attends matinee shows on a Tuesday.

8. I go to the movies alone. And I generally go to a weekday matinee because I have a better chance of having the place to myself.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've gone to a few concerts alone, mostly in small clubs, but I did go to a Springsteen show at a stadium alone. I had friends who were also there and I hung out with them before the show, but I sat (or stood) alone in a better seat. I felt a little awkward, but it was a great show and I bonded with the people next to me over the freaky guy on the other side of me who acted out all the songs (long story).

I don't have a problem going to most places alone if none of my friends want to go, although sometimes I don't even ask and just go places on my own. I prefer going to the movies alone, though. Last week, I went to a movie with a friend and it took a good 30 minutes for me to relax. I'm not sure why.

I draw the line at going to an amusement park alone, but that's about it. I'm pretty introverted, so I don't usually talk to other people when I'm out alone. A good friend is very outgoing and she meets lots of people when she travels or goes out alone.

To each his own, I guess. To me, it's better to go somewhere alone than miss out on seeing or doing something I wanted to.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In the days before I met my wife I would go to concerts alone, the movies alone, out to eat alone. At most of the concerts I would wind up meeting a group of people I'm friends with (if it was a Springsteen concert or a Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers concert) or meet fans I've run into at other shows (if it was a Slaid Cleaves or Rod Picott show)

11. their new record, Major Lodge Victory, shockingly, is great

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

My concert alone group is Rush. I've seen them seven times, the last time just last week. I realize they're a band you either love or loathe to most people out there. Unfortunately, the few people who I know would go with me to see Rush are either married with a kid now or living in another state.

Draft saved Draft deleted