1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to a concert alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I just got back from seeing Hot Hot Heat at a tiny little club here in town. Since none of my friends really share my musical tastes, I made it my solo Saturday night. This isn't the first time I've had to go see a band alone, and it can be an interesting experience. Sometimes I even prefer it -- I'm not spending part of the show hoping my buddy/girl/other person is not hating their life because I dragged them to some concert they are hating.

My question: anyone else do this, or am I that weird guy standing there nodding his head the entire time?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell no. I've done it a bunch of times.

If your friends flake out on you, or you just really want to see a show, go see it. Have fun. Make new friends and bum some jay-jay's off 'em at the show. :D

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've gone to a concert alone, but I didn't leave alone...

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ah-HA!!! Knew it ... ;D

Back on topic, I went to the Rush show some weeks back by myself. Then again, I'm a loner so it was probably best. Likely searching for a Genesis ticket for one, as well.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whatever floats your boat. Go for it.

I go to movies along all the time. Like you, Sam, I'm a lone wolf (most of the time).

6. I had to leave a Filter concert early years ago because the chick I was with wanted to go home. I should have gone by myself and maybe met a woman with my taste in music. ;)

7. I pretty much go to every concert alone. I usually run into people I know once there. The last time I went to a concert with someone was in 2003.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I haven't but I would to see Hot Hot Heat. I'm extremely jealous that you got to see them, esp at a small, intimate venue.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Not just concerts, but sporting events. The last three times I've bought two tickets for anything the other person had to bail so I've learned I can only count on myself. Flying solo is how I roll.

Plus, no one has my musical tastes so it just makes sense.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup ... most of my friends think my musical tastes are from another planet. Their loss. :D

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I haven't been to a concert since 1991. No time. No money. But the last one I went to I went by myself.
    I enjoyed it.

12. Yeah...there aren't many people up to seeing a hardcore honkytonk band one night and corpsepainted Norwegians the next night and John Zorn the night after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted