1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going through the roof

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishwrapper, Dec 21, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Irony defined:

Roof-company billionaire falls through own roof and dies
    Friday, December 21, 2007 1:00 PM

BELOIT, Wis. (AP) — The 91st richest man in the U.S., a roofing company billionaire, has died after falling through his home garage's roof, local authorities said today.

Ken Hendricks, 66, was checking on construction on the roof over his garage at his home in the town of Rock last night when he fell through, Rock County Sheriff's Department commander Troy Knudson said. He suffered massive head injuries, according to his company, ABC Supply Co.

Hendricks' wife called authorities and attempted CPR on her husband, he said. Hendricks was taken first to a Beloit hospital and then transferred to Rockford Memorial Hospital in Winnebago County, Ill.

He was pronounced dead there early this morning, Winnebago County coroner Sue Fiduccia said. An autopsy is planned for today.

Hendricks was the founder, chairman and chief executive officer of the company, the self-described nation's largest wholesale distributor of roofing. The Beloit-based company does about $3 billion in business a year.

Hendricks had a net worth of $3.5 billion in September, according to Forbes magazine. That made him the country's 91st richest person, according to the magazine's ranking of American billionaires.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Finally, a correct usage of irony.

RIP, Mr. Billionaire.

3. I guess heaven needed new shingles.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

HEYYYOOOO!

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm more amazed that $3.5 billion only puts you at 91st these days.

Twenty years ago, I'm guessing that would put you in the top 10.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Yeah, 91st wouldn't even get you to the Husqvarna Bowl.

Phooey on $3.5 billion; I'm gonna bet on the Seahawks for the Supper Bowel and make me some real money.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good career move.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god bless george bush.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. Just a guess, but making billions on crappy roofs? Maybe the devil was foreclosing.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry to break up your party, boys, but in 1999, 3.5 billion would've put you tied with several others at 119th. It would've taken 4.6 billion to get you to No. 91.

Edit: That's according to Forbes, at least.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Weaker dollar today, I presume?

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

And roofs.

Draft saved Draft deleted