1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going Postal With the Rebel Flag.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just received a letter with a stamp that made me do a double take.

Primary design was the rebel flag. Turns out it was state of Mississippi flag- part of a commemorative series of stamp.

Seriously what was the postal service thinking.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is that what I think it is?!?!?

How dare the desecrate that rebel flag stamp by putting a black bear on it!!!

3. Boom_70

It's a metaphor.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For what?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As someone who has lived most of his adult life in Mississippi, I can tell you that we fought, and lost, this battle 10 years ago, and arguing about it now amounts to beating a dead horse.

We had a special election over changing the flag, and the measure lost by a two-thirds margin. Frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't worse. The new flag was some generic blue-field-with-stars design that even those of us who supported the measure thought was ugly as sin.

I felt like they should have gone back to the old magnolia flag that was the state's original design when it first entered the union. That would have satisfied the "heritage, not hate" argument while still getting rid of the rebel battle flag that has become so synonymous with white supremacy groups. But they didn't ask for my opinion, and the new flag went down in flames.

So, the matter has been decided, and we are stuck with an official flag that perpetuates the racist image we've worked awfully hard to shed. BUT, it is the official flag, and as such, if the USPS is releasing stamps honoring every state flag, then it is highly unfair to exclude Mississippi just because some folks don't like the design of our flag.

6. Boom_70

Albert good insight but I just do not see why the Federal government that fight bias daily should have anything to do with celebrating a racist symbol.

What does this say to the minority postal workers who have to sort and deliver mail adorned with the rebel flag.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What does it say to the non-Christian postal workers who have to sort and deliver mail adorned with the Madonna and baby Jesus?

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Who mailed you the letter? There's a huge selection of stamps available. If you're so upset with the postal system about offering heritage stamps, I'd imagine you're furious with the person or organization that bought that stamp for your envelope. They had a choice.

9. Boom_70

My gym - sending me renewal notice and yes in fact I brought envelope to club manager ( happens to be African American) and told him I was taken back in this day and age that someone would use a stamp like that. He was angry / apologetic/ embarrassed.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are you comparing the rebel flag to a picture of baby Jesus?

11. Gay sex.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

OK, who the hell designed Minnesota's stamp?

A grain elevator and swans.

Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted