1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going paywall...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jan 17, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How Gannett hasn't figured that out is beyond me. I subscribe to two of their papers, in my hometown and my favorite sports town (pretty much just for the columnist). Someone with any business sense at all should bundle those plus try to get me onto the rest of the chain for a few bucks more.

Matt1735 and Driftwood like this.
  2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

A couple of things they could really improve:
    1. Chain subscriptions (mentioned already). I think this would have more success in smaller companies, unless a big company like Gannett did an a la carte system where you could choose which to subscribe to. Otherwise I could see them trying to jack the prices too high ($99/month for all of Gannett!!!!)
    2. Single-article purchases. I may not want to subscribe, but would be nice to have the ability to purchase one article.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Newspapers move like a herd -- a herd of lemmings.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

“Select stories are not available without a subscription because they are part of USA Today’s premium experience. Articles and videos elevated as premium represent the best of USA Today’s must-read journalism, anchored in original reporting with visual impact. We invest in this journalism on your behalf.”

They get half-credit. If you have a "premium experience" then you're also saying your regular experience kind of sucks.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Dallas Morning News tried to pull off a "premium experience" by having a two-tier digital subscription and it was, as best I recall, an unmitigated disaster.

As already noted, and this might hard to explain to a group of newspaper hands, but the local newspaper is not the only source of professional news gathering in town and all those others have websites and they're either free or free-ish.

My local paper charges $34 a month for online and I've never given them a dime because if you have a library card, you can log into the library's site and read it for free.

But, anyway, in my town, there's at least 10 websites with professional news gathering and one has a hard paywall, and two have first three articles free type sites. The other seven, TV and radio stations and news sites, are completely free. And that doesn't include AP and what the local bureau does. So local news is 70 percent free. And, sure, TV isn't as depth, blah, blah, blah but what you get for nothing is more than adequate. My Washington Post sub is $4 a month and I'm getting the NYTimes for $3.99 a month, at least until December. And even if I pay for the full sub, my total cost is still half of what the local paper is.

The advantage newspapers have is depth of coverage because they have huge staffs but outside of a handful, that advantage has been lost. Lots and lots of newsrooms, that were once sizable shops, have staff counts in the single digits. And yes, I'm on deadline and procrastinating by posting here.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Bring back Deal Chicken. Now more than ever, our great hope.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Detroit papers went to a paywall a few months ago
    They also have a content deal with Yahoo
    A lot of paywall stories end up on Yahoo

Draft saved Draft deleted