1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going overseas to London...any tips?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

SEE the roundabout.

BE the roundabout.

Best transportational invention ever ... and too damn rare here.

Oh, don't forget to drive on the left.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There it is kids... Big Ben... Parliment

3. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

If you're into museums, the British Museum is nice. I like seeing a show (you can often get cheaper tickets at a half-price booth), Tower of London is good for first-timers. Something out of the ordinary is the massive marble hindu temple on the northwest side of the city. London is great, but don't be afraid to get outside the city and see some country, perhaps the southeast. Try Canterbury and the coastal towns if you have time. It's cheaper (relatively) and will you give you some insight into the country you won't get in London.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Head up to Dublin and walk around with an "I Love Oliver Cromwell" sandwich board.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tate Gallery. National Gallery. British Museum.

Rent a car and get out of London for at least one day.

Oxford or Cambridge.

Brighton.

Wessex (Thomas Hardy Country)

Colchester (Essex County) is very cool. One of England's oldest towns.

It doesn't take long to get used to driving on the left. Roundabouts are tricky the first time.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Lots of great suggestions here. I enjoyed visiting The State Rooms at Buckingham Palace, which is only open to the public for 2 months a year. I took a quick look at their website and this year, they're open until September 29th. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to go inside Buckingham Palace. It's a little pricey and you need timed, advance tickets, but like I said, I really enjoyed it. More info is at:

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=30

I'd also recommend visiting St. Paul's and walking up to the top of the dome.

I'd do as much walking as you can -- it's a great way to see any city. Have a great time!

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Eat before you go.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you don't follow that advice, try this place. My wife and I both liked it.

http://www.laportedesindes.com/london/index.html

And I second, third or whatever the Imperial War Museum. Very cool. And if you do rent a car, Stonehenge is an easy drive.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Mind the Gap!

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Go to a Millwall match and while there stand up and proclaim your love for West Ham.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Avi: You got a toothbrush? We're going to London. Do you hear that, Doug? I'm coming to London.
    [Avi arrives in London]
    Doug the Head: Avi!
    Avi: Shut up and sit down, you big, bald fuck. I don't like leaving my own country, Doug, and I especially don't like leaving it for anything less then warm sandy beaches, and cocktails with little straw hats.
    Doug the Head: We've got sandy beaches...
    Avi: So? Who the fuck wants to see 'em? I hope you appreciate the concern I have for my friend Franky, Doug. I'm gonna find him, and you're gonna help me find him, and we're gonna start at that fight.

Avi: Eighty-six carats.
    Rosebud: Where?
    Avi: London.
    Rosebud: London?
    [​IMG]

Avi: London.
    Avi's Colleague: London?
    Avi: Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fucking Poppins... LONDON.

Bullet Tooth Tony: A bookie's got blagged last night.
    Avi: Blagged? Speak English to me, Tony. I thought this country spawned the fucking language, and so far nobody seems to speak it.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Lots of good suggestions here. Churchill's Bunker is a "must see" as is the Tower of London.

London dining is a lot better today than it was 25 years ago when it came all the way up to "dreadful". If you like Indian cuisine and/or Thai cuisine you will have a wide range of options - - and most all of them will be very good.

Bon voyage...

Draft saved Draft deleted