1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going overseas to London...any tips?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sconnie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

The wife and I are going on a belated honeymoon to London in a few weeks. We've already got our passports and I'll be purchasing some pounds before I go...

Any tips on must sees in London outside of the extemely obvious?

Thanks for any help

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Learn some Brit slang.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

No! Writing Irish will be all over you.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, but that's because he's a tosser.

I've got nothing for you, Sconnie, but I'm sure someone here will.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I haven't been there, but I hear the bridge is falling down. And it's calling. And try the broil.

OK, clearly it's time for someone with some actual tips to step in here. Zeke, our work is done.

6. Tower of London was pretty cool. Harrod's can't be missed, if only for the spectacle of it (their food hall is aces, though).

I could spend a lot of time in London just going from pub to pub, reading a newspaper, enjoying a pint and conversing with whichever character from British central casting was sitting at the bar. It's a great place simply to spend some time.

But damn, it's expensive. (Even more so now with the pound so high against the dollar.)

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If you're into food, try going to Smithfield Market and either of Fergus Henderson's St. John restaurants.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Imperial War Museum -- Churchill's Bunker
    Westminster Abbey (a church where you can buy a shotglass), but more impressive is St. Paul's Cathedral.
    Hampstead Heath -- huge park on the north side and great for people watching. If you get a chance, take the tube to a bed-and-Italian Restaurant (no shit) called LeGaffe.
    take the tube to Hyde Park, walk to Buckingham Palace, then walk to the Imperial War Museum, and 10 Downing Street, before going to Westminster...
    Hit a Pub for fish and chips... blew me away one Sunday where I saw the battered cod -- skin on.
    Take the tube to Blackfriars and go pub hopping -- some date back 200 years.
    And yes, go to Lee Ho Fooks. Get a big dish of beef chow mein.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Harrod's. Forgot.
    What part of town are you staying?

Oh... and paging GB Hack...

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Second going to the Imperial War Museum. That place is freaking amazing, and I'm not even that big of a history buff.

Tea at the Ritz.
    Harrod's.
    Catch a show (preferably one that doesn't play in the States. I'd recommend the Jerry Springer opera. Have to see it to believe it.)
    Any of the other museums.

I'd also try and catch a soccer match. Teams like Arsenal and Chelsea will be impossible, but you might be able to get lucky and get something for Fulham, West Ham or Spurs. I bought a ticket for a Fulham-Bolton match just a couple days before it happened.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Tower of London
    Westminster Abbey
    St. Pauls
    Piccadilly Circus
    Trafalgar Square
    Go to a show on West End. I saw The Lion King when I was there and it was AWESOME.

OHHH! You must must MUST ride on the London Eye!!! At night. You'll get to see the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben all lit up. It's awesome.

Have some real English tea. Tea and scones was the first thing I had when my jet-lagged ass got off the plane and the tea was stronger than any coffee I've ever had.

The original Hard Rock Cafe is in London and they have a separate shop if you don't want to eat there.

One of the places we went (I was part of a traveling tour group) was Windsor Castle. It's not in London but it was definitely gorgeous.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Imperial War Museum is a great call, you must visit the Tower of London, then walk across Tower bridge.

NEVER leave your money on the bar, and don't tip the bartenders.

Draft saved Draft deleted