1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going off on a Dairy Queen employee......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 5, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And those same people probably bitch if you DON'T hold the door or refuse to hold the door for you if they're the ones closer to it.

If I see someone going out of his or her way to hold the door open for me (and yes, it happens), I make it a point to thank him or her sincerely.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Same here. Especially if it's a woman, a kid or an older person.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I live in a part of the country far south but hardly known for southern hospitality.

Yet whenever I hold a door open, people ALWAYS say thank you.

And FWIW, holding a door open is not your job. So that definitely deserves a thanks.

Handing someone a Dilly Bar they ordered IS someone's job. Do not see why a "thank you" is needed, although I acknowledge that being handed something and saying nothing is a little awkward.

But remember this . . . this may have been your only "thank you" that day.

In her line of work, it likely was her 2,458th "you're welcome" that day, which, after the first 1,000 or so, I can see morphing into a "Yup."

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe they reserve "thank you" and "you're welcome" for paying customers.

5. Those Dilly Bars ain't what they used to be. And I'm pissed!!!!

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

One of them closed for not paying their sales tax to the local government.
    The other closed when the truck stop it was in - which barely looked like it was open anyway - closed down.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

"Yup" does not substitute for "you're welcome."

Employees at minimum-wage, shit jobs don't need to be gracious, but they shouldn't be rude. Basic politeness is in order.

Same goes for customers. Paying for a product or service is never a carte blanche to be a tool for no good reason.

Do unto others, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted