1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going off on a Dairy Queen employee......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 5, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Way to be, OD. We don't need that crap around these parts. Take a stand and hold to it.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think we know who is going to be sleeping on the couch all next week in the Oggiedoggie household. And it ain't going to be the missus.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mizzou, it may be a generational thing.

I want to say to the kid (and it's usually a kid), "Why would there be a problem anyway? You're doing, you know, your job".

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because . . . why are you thanking them, if they are only doing, you know, their job.

Silly, robotic, without-real-meaning "thank you" deserves a silly, robotic, without-real-meaning "you're welcome" or "no problem" or even a "yup."

Of course, none of this applies if someone is truly helpful and deserving of heartfelt thanks.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The best two answers.

Let me get this straight, chef. You are ordering two ice creams, both free (while commenting on the appearance of the counter girl). You receive your order. What exactly was the problem?

It takes a very small person to belittle a minimum wage worker at a fast food place. Don't consider it a victory that you were able to prevent yourself from unleashing a torrent of invective on her. Consider it a personality defect that you would even think about cussing out a hardworking girl who gave you your stupid free Dilly bar and small ice cream cone.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think it's called civil human interraction as opposed to robotic responses.

You'd be surprised the number of people who don't even have the basics down. Like when you hold a door for someone and they breeze through like you're the fuckin doorman without even acknowledging your action. That''s when they get a big "You're welcome"

I just have a problem with "no problem" but as I said, it's probably a generational thing.

7. poindexter

I'm sure they are going to miss your business of ordering free coupon ice creams, Chef.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. It's that kind of repeat business that helps Warren Buffett turn a profit.

9. poindexter

Phone message:

If the courtesy of your employees doesn't pick up around here, I am going to stop clogging the drive-thru window to pick up my free Dilly bars and small ice cream cones! And I mean it!!

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, I was just messing around because I think the whole thing is funny.

I also think starting threads on such things is one way some posters avoid having something like this ruin their day. Better to just vent about it here. I probably wouldn't start a thread about it, either, but I don't see a problem if Chef wants to.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Contrary to my normal inclinations, I have a hard time disagreeing with Poin on that one.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was 15, I was waiting for a friend to finish working at Carl's Jr.

A guy pulls up to the Drive-Thru and starts berating the two guys who were working there...

I watched one of them cough phlegm into his shake and I watched my buddy, who had been working the fry cooker and was sweating his ass off, put the guy's hamburger under his arm for about 90 seconds...

I don't think I've ever been rude to a fast food employee ever since...

Draft saved Draft deleted