1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going from newspapers to talk radio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Wondering if any of you have done it and what your experience was like. I have a buddy of mine from college, who worked for me in the paper business and is now headed into the world of sports talk radio.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No, no, no, you've got it wrong. The thing you want to do is get a daily newspaper job, then cut out early from the office or otherwise re-arrange your work schedule and availability to suit the radio gig you land as a moonlighting deal. Your bosses at the paper won't mind because you'll be extending their brand, while you give away the reporting and opinions they're paying you for. If you do it right, you can travel to exotic sports events on the paper's dime and do your radio work via phone, making the station look like it has greater scope and authority than it really does.

Got it? ;D

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You beat me to it, Joe.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You forgot to mention that having the quality of your print work suffering is also important. Mailing it in is a must.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Great catch, Slap!

As much as this is a drum I have loved beating through the years -- actually, I haven't loved beating it but have felt compelled to -- I don't have much sympathy for the newspapers anymore, based on the way they have treated the workers. An unfortunate by-product of all the turmoil and insecurity in this business is an erosion of the long-held values and ethics. But given the rampant mismanagement, it's way, way too late to expect editors to properly reign in their newsroom stars to keep the paper first and foremost. It's like scolding your teenage daughter for getting another piercing while she's servicing the Florida State defensive line right there in front of you.

Still, I think all concerned are better off and can hold their heads high if they don't cheat the system. I'm most impressed by and a fan of the folks who turn the electronic gig into their full-time job and kiss print goodbye, rather than shortcutting it.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If I could get a foothold in that business, I'd give it a shot. Though the job security is just as sucky (if not moreso) from everything I gather.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

You also forgot that often, you are giving the information away on the radio before people can buy the newspaper.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And in fairness, that doesn't happen to everyone. But I can think of several -- one in particular in my old stomping grounds -- where it has made a difference...

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm all for making money however you can do it. If this business doesn't want people moonlighting, it can start paying people like professionals. Otherwise, they're just asking for it.

10. Boognish

Boognish Member

Either way, it's not like those jobs are handed out. Unless you're transferring some cred you built up from a print gig, you'd be starting all over. It's a different skill set.

11. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Everyone always thinks they can do radio. Most of them are wrong, and find out when they try it.

12. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

And then there are sportwriters who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag, but are actually pretty good at radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted