1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going from a sports department at a paper to being a Sports Information Director

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Has anyone on here done it? Would you reccomend it?

2. txscoop

txscoop Member

I know a few people who have. They love it.

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I made the move recently, and it has worked out very well for me. There are definitely times I miss the newspaper writing, but the quality of life has improved dramatically for me.

With Sports Information, there are still long hours, but it's not necessarily the ridiculous kind of hours at the paper. I was at a mid-size daily, where we covered events, wrote gamers and columns, then came back to the office and did layout, pagination and editing, all in one short 15-hour shift. Those are the days I don't miss.

In my new work, you know game days are longer, but there are actually 9-5 days. I actually have more of a social life now, and I actually have two months off (June-July). The pay is nothing spectacular for my position, but going into sports journalism, I never really planned on having money. There are things I miss about my previous life, but I am, without question, much happier overall.

Working in sports media has helped me a ton in the new line of work, as I feel I understand the needs of the media we have.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I was offered the gig a few stops back but my wife hated the town and I knew I could always move more easily as a reporter than SID - or so I thought.

If it ever comes up again, I'm doing it in a heartbeat.

5. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It's a choice between working to find out the truth for the people and doing all you can to obstruct and spin the truth from coming out.
    If you can look yourself in the mirror after obstructing and spinning all day, have at it.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think what Mr. Monday is saying is that it is a wonderful opportunity for a person with the right skill set.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: Going from a sports department at a paper to being a Sports Information Dire

Seahawk, what level are you working on?

For someone working as a Division III SID, where you have to worry about covering every home game in a number of sports, in addition to some other tasks -- some schools, I know SIDs have to make travel arrangements -- it may not be much of a lifestyle aid at all.

At a Division I school, it may be different.

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I'm at a DIII school, and yes, at this level the staffs and budgets are smaller, so there are other job responsibilities. My situation is very nice, as I am strictly doing sports information. I'm fortunate.

At the DI level, there is more travel involved (I rarely travel). Because of the extra responsibilities that fall on many DIII SIDs, there is a reliance on the home schools to get press releases out to opposing schools media outlets.

As for Billy Monday's comment, I don't feel I am a spinster. They certainly exist, and are in the majority in the PR field, but I personally don't believe in hiding the truth, I believe in dealing with it. Maybe that is my journalism background coming through, but I truly hate the idea of spin control.

All I can tell you is that I now look forward to going to work every day, as opposed to feeling generally unhappy with the nature of my previous life.

I get to spend far more time with my wife and family, and that to me, was a big deciding factor as well.

9. Wow.
    Monday, I don't think you fully understand what an SID really does.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did it for a year, and then came back to newspapers ...

On the plus side, the benefits and time off were far, far better than in newspapers. On the negative side, the bureaucracy drove me a little crazy.

11. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

I made the opposite move a few years ago. I was working at a D-I SID office and left to take a job at a weekly paper and now work for a small daily.

There definitely are things I miss about being an SID, but I'm glad I made the move to newspapers. The two things I really did not enjoy about being an SID were the time involved and having to answer to athletic administrators and coaches, who often have a skewed view of their teams or players.

Like I said, I work for a pretty small daily now (5,000 circ.) and the hours are much more tolerable. As an SID, I had to work normal office hours (9 a.m.-5 p.m.) but then also stick around to work home events at night. Even if none of my teams were playing, we were expected to pitch in with men's/women's basketball, football or help any of the other SIDs who had a home event that day. And even if one of your teams is on the road, you have to sit around and wait for results from the other SID.

When you factor in the travel and everything, that's a ton of hours you put in. I'm sure it's different at larger dailies, but at my current shop we're not expected to be in at 9 a.m. if we know we're going to be covering an event and working until midnight.

Also, I found that a lot of the coaches think that their SIDs work for them and not with them. Some of the coaches I worked with were really nice and understanding, but others were not and had crazy expectations about what my job really was.

They don't understand that you have other sports to take care of as well, they think their team should always be your first priority. And as has already been mentioned, if you try to write anything "less than positive" about a team, that will not go over well. But try finding a lot of positives when your field hockey team losses 10-0.

That's just my two cents. I'm sure there are a lot of SIDs who love their jobs, but it just wasn't right for me. Good luck, I hope everything works out for the best.

12. Oh, the job is not for me but rather a buddy of mine who recently graduated and works for a small daily. He wants to make the jump. As for me, I'm happy where I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted