1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going forward, post bug reports here too.

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Afraid I don't follow. Can you try explaining a different way?

2. Jeff

That is a little weird. Possibly your mobile network takes a circuitous route to the datacenter where our single server is located compared to how it navigates to similar sites.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The site isn't working on my iPhone any longer. Other sites work on my phone and this site is fine on the computer, so I know it's not the internet connection.

4. Jeff

Thanks for reporting. A couple of questions to help me debug:

1) What's the error screen that comes up?

2) Does the issue crop up with both wifi enabled and disabled when you're at home?

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's fine now, but no error screen came up at all. Just a white screen.

It happened on both wifi and the cellular network.

By the way, quoting me with a reply would have helped a bit, because once the site started working again, I forgot about posting this. That's why I'm so late to respond. I never got a reply alert.

Jeff likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Again with the issues with being able to get onto the site through Galaxy. Why is this a continual pain in the ass?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is there a reason the site won't load on a particular WiFi network, but be fine on others? Happens on a phone and laptop.

9. Jeff

I wish I knew. The fact that it wasn't working and then it started working (without me making any changes to the server) and then stopped working indicates it's something external to the SJ server. If that's true, there's nothing I can do.

Either there's a firewall somewhere blocking SJ, or a misconfiguration in a router somewhere. Can you PM me your IP address (google "what's my IP?") and a description of the wifi network... like is it your home vs work network? And to confirm, you've tried those same devices on the different network and they worked fine?

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The WiFi network thing cleared up. I had tried one of the devices on different networks and it worked fine.
    Thanks.

Jeff likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

As dixiehack posted above, the site has been loading slowly for me the past few days and seems to be worse today than before.

Draft saved Draft deleted