1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going for a job interview this week...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cworsh4, May 6, 2012.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Are there still editors and hiring folks really adamant about the "tie" thing?

Conflicting reports, because I wore a suit for an interview once and the EIC asked me why. Told him that's what people do and he said, "Not here." Then again, an editor I interviewed with for an internship thought I should have worn a tie instead of just a Polo shirt. Guess which gig I got.

For the last few interviews, I've just layered up casually. Solid, dark blue jeans (no wash or fading), a button-up shirt & tie with a sweater or vest, and a lightweight sports coat. Maybe I'll do shoes, or maybe I'll do subtle black sneakers. I'll save the suit for my interview with Esquire.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy shit, you wear jeans to a job interview? And you get hired?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wear jeans to a newsroom interview even if the job entailed covering the agriculture beat.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I go with these.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'd tell them stories about cornholing your neighbor. that always keeps people entertained.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Don't forget to interview the interviewer(s).

7. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

The idea that you can never go wrong in a suit and tie backfired for me. So much of it has to do with the shop's culture. I mean, I was hired (freelance) to do some writing and reporting for a national mag off the strength of a conversation during a media event while wearing basketball shorts and bright sneakers.

Funny enough, I got the idea for jeans from the fellow who was hired as EIC at the last little shop I worked. He came in with light blue jeans, a lumberjack-esque plaid shirt, and a solid navy blue tie with brown sneakers/shoes and a sports coat. And he was hired to be my boss. Actually dressed better for his first day of work than the interview, but I think his résumé was fancy enough to outweigh the attire.

After seeing him do that, I gave it a shot. Results have been mixed. Mostly, I'm not getting hired because I'm not white. Might just default back to Ralph Lauren slacks.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, I'm not getting hired and I am white, so maybe I should try the Ralph Lauren slacks too.

9. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Shopping date!

I don't know... I'm exhausted with the interview experience. I'm tired of tap dancing for a gig. Interviews were special in my early 20s because I had the doe-eyed perspective, thinking my life was just beginning. But if I send my best clips from the most impressive places where I'm published, proving that I've been doing this for real for 'x' years, then let's just have a conversation like adults and work out the details for where I fit. And don't make me freelance instead of putting me on staff. I'd like benefits and a 401K.

Sorry for the derail, cworsh. Good luck!

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The best job I was ever hired for, the hiring manager told me shortly afterwards, "I knew immediately when you showed up in a suit that I was going to hire you."

But that was 6 long years ago; now, I specifically ask someone at the place I'm interested in working at, "what should I wear when I drop by?"

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've always worn pants to every job interview I've ever had.

As for coat and tie, tough call. My last few I did wear coat and tie, figured it was better to be overdressed than underdressed. Last place, the guy doing the interviewing was also wearing coat and tie, so I felt much more professional.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always worn the suit and tie thing, figuring it's the proper apparel for a job interview.

I did go on a couple of interviews for a civil service job where the interviewers were surprised I was wearing a suit. I figured it was a professional-enough job and they were interviewing a lot of people that it was the proper thing to wear. Guess not.

Draft saved Draft deleted