1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going for a job interview this week...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cworsh4, May 6, 2012.

1. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

...for an online sports editor position.

I come seeking both help and entertainment. First, I'm preparing for the interview, and I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Advice on what kinds of out of the ordinary questions to expect, things to bring, etc.

Second, the entertainment. What's your best job interview story? I once interviewed for a job, and the guy interviewing me was behind a desk. After the interview, he stood up to shake my hands, and he was wearing no pants. Just boxers. A sport coat, button down, boxers, and cowboy boots. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would rework that post. I took one sentence, put it into google and figured out where you're applying. The people who are interviewing you very well could be on this site, and recognize that ad, and realize that you're coming in here asking for help in an interview like "What will they ask" which probably won't reflect fantastically on you and makes you look like you're in over your head.

3. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Thanks. I'd call it more a matter of trying to be fully prepared, but you're right.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Understood. I think you can paraphrase the ad, just don't put it up word for word.

As for actual questions, just make sure you can show examples of all the things they're asking of you. "I've been in charge of my paper's sports Twitter account for the past year,a nd our followers have grown to XXXXX. I also post on and edit our staff blog, and my post about XXX got XX shares." etc. etc.

5. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Yeah. I mean, I've done job interviews before, so I know the basics. Heck, I've given job interviews, so I know what sorts of questions to expect.

I'm just trying to exhaust all resources. Plus, it's Sunday, and I'm bored.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is an old saying that if you have to ask, then you ....

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bring your W-2s, rental history, urine sample, stool sample, facebook/email/twitter passwords, credit card statements and your 2nd grade report card.

8. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

I don't have to ask. I'm just an asker, by nature. Isn't that sort of the point of this forum? Or am I missing something...

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Serious answer: I'd probably ask you what makes your voice unique in social media and specifically what you will do to grow my site's social media presence.

Are you familiar with social media outlets besides Facebook and Twitter, such as Google+, foursquare, etc., and how would you divide your efforts among them (hint, while Google+ is growing, Facebook and Twitter are still the predominant social media)?

10. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

I didn't get a report card until third grade...true story.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Tell me about a time when you wanted to strangle your co-workers and how you buried their bodies.

12. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Very nice. Much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted