1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going easy on preps?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fuh Real, Sep 14, 2007.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Why is jargon appropriate at any level?

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I've always been a call-'em-as-I-see-'em kind of guy. I'm not going to mention that kids screwed up just to say that they screwed up, but when it comes to a situation on which the game hinges, then absolutely I mention it.
    And don't get me started on baseball and softball coaches, who've actually asked me not to mention the names of kids that make errors.

3. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Give them the benefit of the doubt in what way? Not write anything negative about their play or team? There's definitely a line to be drawn with preps, but you still have to accurately report the game. If the offensive line dominated, then it dominated.

And as for kids quitting because of a reporter or newspaper, someone here wrote a while back in a similar thread that kids don't start playing sports because of what people will write about them, so they shouldn't decide to stop playing because of it either.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

On the other side, never a fan of the word "upset" in high school. There's no betting (legally), and it's just a matter of opinions anyway.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I agree to some extent.

But they are also getting their name in the paper over and over again when they do well, and to some extent, there's a balance off to that when they do poorly.

I think it more comes into play when they get arrested, though.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

"Jones picked off an underthrown pass by Smith to secure the win."
    or
    "Terwilliger finished 3-of-30 with four interceptions"
    are fine. You've got to mention those because odds are they were an important factor in determining the outcome.
    You don't say, "With the game on the line, McBeezelbeck choked like President Bush eating a pretzel."
    or call for a kid to be benched, place the loss all on one kid's shoulders, etc.
    You do treat them with kid gloves a bit, because they are kids. But don't get too carried away with it and let it keep you from telling the story.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I remember back in the prep days covering a tense end-of-season game. Winner goes to playoffs. Loser stays home. One team scores very late, needing extra point for tie and OT. Kicker has been area's best for years. Never misses.
    He misses. Team stays home.

I felt bad mentioning his name in the story, but there was no choice. We kicked it around in the office and the consensus was "he missed the kick, it has to be said."

A few years later, I ran into the kid and we were talking about that. He looked at me and said, "I missed the kick, it had to be said."

Bottom line: Treat preps like anything else. Be fair. Don't sugarcoat, don't go out of your way to be harsh. Be fair.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I tried to be selective at times, knowing that if you listed every kid who blew a play in a game, a gamer could read like a roster. If a guy fumbles in the first quarter you could say "Team X fumbled", but if that guy does it in the fourth quarter to decide the game, he's gotta be mentioned by name. And it's funny, like Moddy's example, more often than not, the kids who actually made the mistakes are the last ones to be mad about being called out for it in the paper. The parents, of course, will think their kids' lives are ruined because we told the story accurately.

One piece of language my editor always changed was the use of "favorite" or "favored" in stories. He thought "South was a big favorite to beat North in the playoffs" connoted gambling. The way he saw it, a team can only be favored if there's a line on the game.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just tell what happened and let the readers make up their own minds.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Situation like that, it always helps to interview the kid after the game, too. Give them a chance to say what went wrong, even if it's as simple as "I missed the kick" or "I was imagining boning three cheerleaders after we finished this game-winning touchdown drive, took my eye off the ball and fumbled the snap."
    It gives a story a kind of even-handed feel, and lets you explain what happened in the kid's own words without slamming him.

11. Might work for you and many others on the board, but where I work, a kid signing to play NAIA is our highest-caliber athlete.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

One word I try to avoid in preps is star.
    I like standout better.
    Moddy has the right advice, be fair, let the facts speak for themselves, don't go overboard negative or positive.

Draft saved Draft deleted