1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I've done it, at a place where a lot of people did it (some more than once). That spoke to the affection most of us had for the place, even as we were leaving for (what we thought were) greener pastures.

As long as you haven't burned bridges, there shouldn't be any problem in terms of your reception from the people there.

The bigger potential pitfall, however, is how YOU are going to view going back. If you view it - even subconsciously - as a "step back" - you're going to be in for a lot of unhappiness. Like I said, I've gone back to one place and there are other former stops I would have no problem going back to. There are still others, though, that would be just too weird for me to consider returning.

On the other hand, it's a job. Which in this economy, probably trumps all other considerations.

So never mind.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude did once, and it worked out better the second time. Her time away at a bigger place raised her profile in the editors' eyes, I guess.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've applied at a large number of positions since I was unemployed. One of the places where I've interviewed was the community college where my academic career began.

If I get a job there, I'm sure I'll miss the good things about journalism, and I know I'll miss the days when I could make a living out of my biggest passion. But I'll hopefully be able to build on some strong existing relationships and establish some new ones at a place that feels like home in many ways.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Never done it myself, but my former shop took a few folks back.

In most of the cases, it worked out fine.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I did it once, and I regretted it. I left on good terms, went to work at a couple papers and then a news position came up, and I thought, "Yes, news, that's what I want to try next."

The only problem? The goals and the standards had changed. When I left, it was a phenomenal small daily that was really starting to make noise as one of the best small dailies in the Southeast.

When I came back, they were in the midst of getting rid of their photographers (Reporters can shoot top-notch photos; it's easy!), the sports editor was being shuffled into a combo news-sports gig (and he has since left) and most of the talent was gone or looking for a trapdoor. The editor, who had sung the praises of a quality publication, had become a yes-man to the publisher, and the newspaper was a shadow of its former self.

I couldn't wait to leave once I got there. Talk to people you know there and see if things have changed. I never would have thought things would have been like they were, but unfortunately they were.

Coincidentally, I came to the newspaper I'm at now because of the opportunity to work for a boss I had worked at before taking that news gig. Fortunately for me, he hasn't changed. The goals are still the same, and I couldn't be happier.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It happens all the time. Twice to me in my career.
    Nothing at all wrong with it.
    Higher-ups know when you leave it's usually to try and better yourself. They sit in their ivory towers but are acutely aware of the salary you are trying to live on.
    That's why they almost always readily allow you to come back.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The last time I salted the earth, it's apparently killed the whole field.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I left because I was burned out. The owner didn't want me to go but I wasn't hearing it and left in a bit of a huff.

Fortunately, my replacement at the old gig was incompetent and my new job wasn't all I expected it to be. After we let bygones be bygones, I came back. Funny thing was, every staffer was the same when I left as when I came back (Sure, it was only 14 months, but things had been stable for a while). Since my return in '03, the owner died, his family sold us to a corporation, we've had two publishers and are about to hire our third managing editor in about 3 1/2 years (fourth overall).

And then there's me. I'm stuck doing sports and acting as interim managing editor. But I've also been here 12 of the last 13 years and I'm not planning to go anywhere soon (mostly because of this sucky economy).

9. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

I've been at my current gig since 2005 after leaving in 2001 on far less than pleasant circumstances. It's been OK for the most part ... could be better in some regards, but far worse in others.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Oh, man. I'm currently at a shop I left six years ago, and I've done three different tours of duty at another shop over an 8-year period. If people are willing to rehire you to work at a place you're familiar with and you like the people there, why not go back?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Everytime they make him wear sleeves, he quits until the dress code is relaxed.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Shockingly, they've seen me sleeveless and STILL rehire me!

Draft saved Draft deleted