1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Has anyone ever worked someplace, left, and years later returned to work there again?

If so, how awkward was it? Did you stay very long on the second go-round?

Never gave it much thought until recently, when a spot at a former shop opened up. Been gone 5 1/2 years --- left for a better-paying position in a nearby city --- but some of my former colleagues are still there. Not the all-time ultimate gig, but not the worst place in the world, either. Felt like I left on pretty decent terms and stayed in touch with a couple of people for a year or so afterward.

I'm debating whether to actually apply or not.

Any thoughts or experiences?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What are the circumstances that now you want to go back?

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

It's a job. Take it if you need it. You can worry about the tearful reunions after you get there.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I've done it three times. If you leave on good terms and don't salt the earth on your way out, it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't expect a parade in your honor.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Been there, done that. It works just fine...sometimes it works out for the better.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Reasons are (1) I was laid off at my last shop and am actively looking for work, (2) location and the people are decent, (3) familiarity with the area.

It would be naive of me to say I'd stay forever. It would probably be naive of them to expect that. How long? Who knows in this current climate?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's worth at least applying.

8. healingman

healingman Guest

Just my two cents: I've done this twice in my years in this business. Both times I was welcomed back warmly by my boss. No shaming, guilt or crap like that ... once it was in 2000 and as recent as last September. So, like someone else said earlier, go for it. :)

9. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Done it twice. It's strange because some people act as if you haven't changed in the time you're gone. If you were single and a bit of a party person the first time around, and while you were gone got married and had kids, that can be an issue. There's also a "you can't go home again" aspect to it, in that the people you knew act one way, but the ones who came aboard while you were gone tend to see you as a newcomer, and act differently toward you.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Go for it.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've never done it. But I have a standing offer at a former shop where I can come back should they ever hire. I'd do it if I was out of work and they were hiring.

I work with a guy who came back to where we are now. But the ME is different than it was during his last tour. But I'm sure his sources and familiarity with the city, teams, beats helped him the second time around.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I did it once and never had any problems. It helps, I think, if your supervisors are mostly the same the second time around (assuming you liked them the first time, of course.) If you'd be working for a new boss, I imagine it's a bit more complicated.

Draft saved Draft deleted