1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back to school

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't agree. If people let a few butterflies discourage them from trying things, they'd never raise their lot in life.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A masters in journalism won't necessarily be a waste. If you have some experience in the field and then get your masters, you can always teach. I worked as a reporter and then got a sports information job at a school where I could take classes for nearly free. After I finished grad school, I taught a class there while still SID-ing. Moved back to hometown and got a fulltime teaching gig at the big university. And we're in need of part-time teachers for the fall, as we are most semesters. And part-time often leads to fulltime. Teaching college is a good gig. Lots of time to freelance, summers off if I want (I choose to teach one class in the summer; extra pay in addition to my annual contract), I like the campus atmosphere.

tl;dr -- Go back to school.

3. accguy

accguy Member

The insurance thing might not be as big of a deal as one thinks. Because of how more and more small companies aren't offering insurance, insurance companies are offering better and/or more affordable individual health insurance plans.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, leaning toward the Masters...mainly because the Mrs. has one and I can't have her thinking she's smarter than me! lol

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. But the key is to find your own coverage if you're not fortunate to either be covered by your employer ... or signed up because you're eligible for coverage.

So many think they have no coverage and nowhere to go if they're not employed by a company which offers benefits. Go to www.ehealthinsurance.com for a somewhat comprehensive list of coverage options. Just make sure to read the fine print - deductible, coinsurance split, copays, prescription parameters - and avoid simply taking the cheapest thing offered. While any coverage beats no coverage, how many people are getting much help with a bare-bones package that has a $10,000 deductible?

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. Coming out of Peace Corps, the crap they offered us was so bad -- and, even though it was cheap, it was still almost out of my range -- didn't cover anything. I had a routine bill - not covered. Lab - not covered. The prescription I needed was cheaper to buy without insurance than through theirs.

When I incurred an ER bill complete with CT scan, the "insurance" still found reasons not to pay. I fought it but lost.

In the end -- and still unemployed with no options -- I just canceled the "insurance" and started paying down the bill with the amount of money I'd been paying for the plan.

Had I just socked the same amount of money in an emergency fund monthy rather than purchasing the only insurance I could afford (and yes, I did check around - extensively) I could have written a check at the time of the hospital visit.

So I no longer believe that anything is better than nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted