1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

going back to school worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by welch10, Apr 13, 2014.

1. welch10

welch10 New Member

For someone who has graduated with a Bachelors in English/Creative writing with a minor in sports com. who already has a job in the field (coming up on a year at the end of summer), would it do them any good to go back to school to get a Masters?

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I've thought about this for myself. But then I have to add the factors of children (second born last night) to consider. Then again, I have a decent writing job and was just asked to move into sports after a recent departure. I think you always have to evolve and grow or else, just like Triple H used to say on WWE, evolution (at least of the journalism industry) will pass you by.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It may be useful to get a master's, if you're looking to switch careers. If you want to stay in journalism, it won't do you much good. If anything, it'll be a waste of money and newspapers will see you as overqualified and not willing to work for peanuts.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The easy answer to all of these types of questions:

Investing any amount of your capital -- human or financial -- in this industry will never again be "worth it." Don't really understand how that is still even a question for some people.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

What Baron and Daemon said.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It all depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to work in sports, it's probably not worth it. If you want to teach at a university, then it's probably a worthwhile investment.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Logical way to do this:

Quit journalism. Get job outside journalism. Get Master's. Get better job outside journalism.

8. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Or do what I'm doing:

Write multiple best-selling novels hoping so you don't feel bad you're salary is less than those from many warehouse positions - despite having higher education.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Make sure you have a decent editor who can differentiate between "your" and "you're."

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Is there any use to a master's in journalism except to fulfill a teaching requirement?

11. SP7988

SP7988 Member

I too was thinking of getting a masters in journalism.

I get some of your points. But wouldn't the contacts you could make at the school be worth it? Say if you went to a Missouri, Columbia, Northwestern, etc. with professors who have links to news organizations.

Couldn't that be beneficial?

12. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Well, the writing gigs I've gotten that have been beneficial for me have been from knowing someone. So for example, if I was someone who had interest in a position at Company XYZ and I had a professor who had a long history with the company, I'm sure that could help open up some doors, right?

At least I would think.

Draft saved Draft deleted