1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going back to a different rag, in the same company???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JD, Aug 20, 2008.

1. JD

JD Member

I was let go from a MediaNews rag back in January due to what else, budget cuts.....

However, I was recently given the opportunity to interview for another paper, which happens to be within the same chain. Slightly better pay, same type of shifts/work, but there is now that degree of uncertainty.

Has anyone here done this before? Or, what do you think of someone doing this? I mean, it could wind up being the same thing again if MediaNews decides to continue its cutbacks.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is this a better job than you have now? What are you're options? Who are you responsible to beside yourself (wife? kids?)?

3. JD

JD Member

Paper or plastic.....so way better job if I get hired.....As for options, no other paper seems to be hiring around my area at the moment, and I hate my current job, so writing again is very enticing. As for responsibility, no one but myself and my own personal bills.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just go for it, JD.

5. JD

JD Member

Why do you think that? Just curious.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Would you have to move to go to this place? If so, how much of a burden would the lease I'm guessing you have now be on you?

7. JD

JD Member

No need for a move. About a 35-minute commute to the office.

As for a current lease, it isn't like that for me. I am only 21, and live with my Grandmother (basically I am a caregiver).

8. JD

JD Member

Well, I got, and took, the job.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well congrats, JD. That wrapped up quicker than an HR situation.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Wow. Wish it could be that easy for everyone who gets dumped. Congrats.

Just have a backup plan -- though I'm guessing that's something you're well aware of by now.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've done it before. Nothing to do with the company, just an opportunity came up. Another opportunity came up with a bigger paper a year later and I went back to that company, where I remain today.

Only down side to going back is you start from zero in terms of seniority, but I wasn't exactly Blackie Sherrod at the first place, so no biggie.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Best of luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted