1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goestenkors leaving Duke for Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have no love for Dookies, but why is Gail loathed?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

She's not exactly known for her glowing personality. Of course, I realize neither are Summitt and Auriemma, but watch after the game. Opposing coaches, for the most part, barely acknowledge her. At least coaches respect Pat and Geno. And from talking to a few ACC beat writers, she's not exactly pleasant with the media, either.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

She'll fit right in in Austin then.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Look for Texas to have outstanding regular seasons from now till eternity and then suck every NCAA tournament.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with her. She didn't play with the obtuse questions like some other coaches tend to be more willing to do, but I don't see the reason for the venom aimed at her.

I also don't get the venom aimed at Pat Summitt, aside from the fact that she's rolled well past the 900-win mark and is aiming for another national title. She's a hell of an ambassador for the women's game ... she is to women's basketball what Richard Petty is to NASCAR. At least in my book.

As for Geno Auriemma, there's proof that a_ses have faces.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, but like I said -- at the very least, opposing coaches respect Summitt and most respect Auriemma. Goestenkors doesn't even have professional courtesy going for her.

7. Sam Mills 51

Doc,

Why did Kay Yow make a point to place an encouraging phone call to Gail Goestenkors after Maryland beat Duke in the national championship game last year? If Coach G were that reviled, Yow wouldn't have gone out of her way to do that.

Understanding that I'm very, very biased for both of the coaches above, I also doubt that a class act like Kay does that for someone despicable. Yow has plenty of friends, and certainly doesn't need to reach out for more friends or PR moves.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm just going from what I've seen/been told. I'm sure there's exceptions for everyone. Hell, I bet there's still a person or two in Milwaukee who still likes Bruce Pearl. But they're the exception, not the rule.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Is the ACC the feeder program for Texas? Mack Brown goes from North Carolina to Texas football, Rick Barnes goes from Clemson to Texas men's basketball and Gail Goestenkors goes from Duke to Texas women's basketball.

Putting Goestenkors in the same a-hole category as Geno (not saying you necessarily were, Doc) is absolutely crazy. In fact, she is (was) one of the few Duke coaches I like(d).

10. Sam Mills 51

Fair enough, Doc. I'm not here to grandstand that Goestenkors is anything close to perfect, but as I'm saying, I don't feel that Coach G's nasty rap is deserved.

Years ago, I saw a situation that helps my case. Back when the first- and second-round games in the NCAA Tournament were held at each region's top four seeds, it was in Durham. Goestenkors was on press row when a little kid tugged at her, holding up her program. Goestenkors turned around, smiled, took time out of her scouting and note-taking and signed the kid's program.

Would an a_shole do something like that?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So Duke now can have Coach Mrs. Mickey K, right?

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't have a problem with Coach G. I can see why people would, though.

Now, Kim Mulkey ... there's a piece of work. Gail doesn't have to be 10 percent as classy as Jody to be the nicer coach in Texas. I don't know much about the Texas Tech coach, either way.

Draft saved Draft deleted