1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godspeed, my Studio XPS laptop!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am sitting here watching my Dell tech disassemble my less-than-six-months-old Dell Studio XPS 16 -- which threw a bum DVD drive the other day. The amount of tiny screws and shimmying around to get the slot-load drive out hurts me just thinking about it.

Lord, I hope this dude knows what he's doing!

RB

2. Rockbottom

Well, FML. Good news is the DVD drive is installed. Bad news is that the hard drive is stalling out - which will lead to a hard-drive replacement in the ensuing days.

FML!!!!

RB

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hope you backed up your data at some point.

Buy the highest-capacity drive you can afford that will fit in your computer's chassis — they're relatively cheap.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have that kind of laptop too, RB. It's the replacement for the one that broke on my last trip to Birmingham. I love it. Good luck with it.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Get. A. Ma ... oh, nevermind.

6. Rockbottom

Dell is being awesome - guy came to the house to put the DVD drive in/diagnose the hard drive/order a new one. It will be here by Monday, and he will come back out to install.

I love the machine itself. Hopefully this is it for breakdowns.

Oh, and it saves everything to a "virtual" D-drive. On top of that, my totally awesome Norton 360 2.0 saves all my data as well. :)

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted