1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godspeed, my Studio XPS laptop!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

I am sitting here watching my Dell tech disassemble my less-than-six-months-old Dell Studio XPS 16 -- which threw a bum DVD drive the other day. The amount of tiny screws and shimmying around to get the slot-load drive out hurts me just thinking about it.

Lord, I hope this dude knows what he's doing!

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Well, FML. Good news is the DVD drive is installed. Bad news is that the hard drive is stalling out - which will lead to a hard-drive replacement in the ensuing days.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Hope you backed up your data at some point.

Buy the highest-capacity drive you can afford that will fit in your computer's chassis — they're relatively cheap.
  4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

I have that kind of laptop too, RB. It's the replacement for the one that broke on my last trip to Birmingham. I love it. Good luck with it.
  5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Get. A. Ma ... oh, nevermind.
  6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Dell is being awesome - guy came to the house to put the DVD drive in/diagnose the hard drive/order a new one. It will be here by Monday, and he will come back out to install.

I love the machine itself. Hopefully this is it for breakdowns.

Oh, and it saves everything to a "virtual" D-drive. On top of that, my totally awesome Norton 360 2.0 saves all my data as well. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted