1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godspeed, Bob Feller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: RIP, Bob Feller

That is last night's news. The Morning Journal link from the morning at the top of this thread has been deleted.
    Apparently, he's still alive but, sadly, it seems only a matter of time

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: RIP, Bob Feller

A little disappointed in the Morning Journal. They've not only pulled off the errant story (which is good), but also pulled their mea culpa off the website after only briefly having it up (not so good).

They started a wildfire of premature reports, posted a quick "oops" than ran away as fast as possible hoping no one would notice. Own it, dudes.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: NOT RIP, Bob Feller

That's Pat Burns and now Bob Feller. What is so all-fired important about being the first to report on a death of a very old/sick person, a death that is known to be arriving at any moment?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

What he said!

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because we're newsmen, and newsmen want to be first with the news. You can't turn that on and off.

But that doesn't excuse getting it wrong, particularly in these cases.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Let's go back to old journalism, when we got it right.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ah, my old haunt jumped the gun on the obit.

Sat next to Rapid Robert in the press box a decade or so ago. He came in about the second inning and it took me like three more innings to work up the balls to talk to him. Asked him about the first home run he ever hit in the bigs. Forget the story, but it was a good one.

Then Omar Vizquel made a great play and I said something stupid like, boy, what if you had a guy like him playing behind you. He goes, "I had Lou Boudreau, he was a pretty good player!" or something like that.

Oops.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's the problem. They'd rather be first.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The 34th President of the United States, Thomas E. Dewey, agrees.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I met Feller once at an autograph show when I was a kid. Couldn't have been nicer. RIP.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

sweet

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine loves to tell a story about meeting Feller at a minor-league game in the mid-90s. While my buddy was waiting in line for Feller's autograph, a kid about 10 years old or so had Feller sign his hat, then put it back on his head sideways. Feller snatched the hat off the kid's head, and told him he wasn't worthy of the autograph if he was going to disrespect him "that way."

And that was when Feller was in his late 70s.

Draft saved Draft deleted