1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godspeed, Bob Feller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Re: RIP, Bob Feller

Hold the phone...evidently he's still alive.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2010/12/09/news/doc4d00bff35bcdf126777333.txt

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Having met him during one of his perpetual minor-league tours back in the late 1990s, I can say unequivocally that Bob Feller is too mean to die ... and I mean that as a compliment.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be fitting for him to die the day after Pearl Harbor day?

Feller famously heard the reports of the attack on Pearl Harbor over the radio, then drove straight to the U.S. Navy recruiting office and enlisted.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love hearing stories like that. It's nice to think that awhile back there were athletes who were true heroes and not a bunch of self-involved douchebags.

During the 30 seconds I spent standing in front of Feller at a baseball card show when he didn't look up, he seemed like a good guy. :)

RIP

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I loved this guy.

We did an event at Jacobs Field in 2003 or so for some of our top clients in Cleveland -- a sort of baseball clinic followed by a pick up game and then a reception.

We had arranged for Bob to be our special guest. He arrived early and put on his uniform.

The night before the event, a sprinkler had leaked and 3rd base was flooded. We needed to stall.

We were in the Clubhouse and Bob took over. He told stories, he answered questions, he gave strong opinions.

It was great.

And, of course, nothing and nobody from today was as good as it was in his day. Someone asked about today's hitters and he told them about Ted Williams. They asked about 9/11 and he told them about Pearl Harbor.

Very glad I had a chance to meet him.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pat Tillman's family respectfully disagrees with your premise.

7. YankeeFan

C'mon. He certainly wasn't discounting Pat Tillman.

Maybe he wasn't thinking of him, but I'm sure Mizzou puts Tilman in the same camp as Bob Feller.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An enormous ego (as if you couldn't tell!) . . . but that was justified.

I want to be as sharp and "with it" at the age he reached as he was, practically to the end.

Godspeed.

9. YankeeFan

It's not bragging if it's true, right?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Um, he's not dead yet, right?

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/368850.html

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

What looks to be the latest......http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5900594

Draft saved Draft deleted