1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godspeed, Bob Feller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sad to hear this news a day after the Pearl Harbor anniversary. Hopefully, if this is the end, he goes peacefully and painlessly.

Great pitcher. Great American.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Pun intended?

Godspeed, Rapid Robert.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Had the pleasure of sitting next to him in the press box during a Tribe game at the Jake 7 or 8 years ago. Our conversation turned into one of the most enjoyable features I've ever penned.

Godspeed, Mr. Feller.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've heard stories of his belligerence, and I also have a friend who interviewed Feller for a book of baseball vignettes. After the book came out, she received a handwritten note in the mail from him thanking her for her time and complementing her on the book. I thought that was outstanding.

He is on the very short list of greatest American ballplayers, only partially for what he did on the field.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

NOT RIP, Bob Feller

I realize there is a thread about him going into hospice, but it's now, sadly, official.

RIP, Mr. Feller.

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2010/12/09/sports/doc4d006ec18c386569666981.txt

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: RIP, Bob Feller

Damn. RIP, Rapid Robert. There will never be another like you.

EDIT: And that's a marvelous obituary. Well done, Jim Ingraham.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seems as if the end truly is near whenever it is revealed that a famous person is in hospice.

RIP to a true American hero and original.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Extremely sad news. Great American. Great ballplayer.

Tough couple of weeks for Baseball, Ron Santo last week, and now Feller tonight.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Tough year. Damn.

RIP Rapid Robert. Truly one of a kind.

"That was the test. Three days before he pitched, I would start thinking about Robert Feller, Bob Feller. I would sit in my room and start thinking about him all the time. ... Allie Reynolds of the Yankees was tough, and I might think about him for two hours before a game. But Robert Feller, I'd think about him for three days." -- Ted Williams

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Awesome stuff, Buck. Thanks for sharing.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One night at the Jake in September 1999, Pedro Martinez was blowing away Tribe batters for a 10-strikeout four-hitter or somesuch, and Feller, sitting the press box, was heard to say, quietly that "he (Martinez) was a pretty decent pitcher."
    This was, without question, the biggest compliment Pedro has ever or will ever receive for his career. The Cleveland guys were thunderstruck.
    PS: My parents went on one of those old ballplayer cruises many years ago and they said Feller was wonderful to them and wonderful company.
    RIP: The best pitcher of his era, which is all the best any athlete can be.

12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Sad news. Never talked to him, never seen him pitched but I've studied him and always admired him.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted