1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godspeed, Bob Feller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Breaking on Twitter now that he has been moved to hospice care. Had been hospitalized w/pneumonia.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

This isn't good news at all.

:(

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

very sad.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe now would be a good time for me to put that picture he signed for me at a card show in 1990 on ebay.

I hope his final days are peaceful ones.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

If you take the tour of the USS Alabama in Mobile Bay, there is a plaque somewhere deep in the ship (the radio room, maybe?) commemorating Feller's service on the Alabama. That generation is really starting to leave us at a rapid pace, so it's always good to remember the sacrifices they made.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My parent's favorite player, along with Lou Boudreau

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Had a chance to interview him several years ago. Really nice guy who would have talked for hours if he didn't have somewhere else to go that day.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, his Wiki entry hasn't been updated yet; says he's the longest tenured living HOF member.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, he's not dead yet. Just been moved to hospice care.

11. Bob is an irascible, crotchety old coot and I love him anyway. So do a lot of people.

I hate to hear this news, but I think anyone that's ever interacted with him in the last two decades can attest that we should all dream of being as physically and mentally sharp into our elderly years. The man was still playing old-timers games and offering pointed opinions at an age when many of us will lucky to be around.

Yes, he could be arrogant and self-important at times, but by god he was one of the greatest pitchers ever, he helped fight and win a world war and he has always been willing to talk baseball with anyone willing to lend an ear. I think that counts for something.

When Bob passes, we will be losing an original, and it will be quite a loss.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted