1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godfather Pt. II ???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 14, 2009.

1. When Hymen Roth is in the Cuban hospital and Mike's henchman is attempting to smoother him, he is interrupted by the police or military... Why?
    Why were they there? Did Fredo tip someone off about the attempt on Roth?
    If couldn't have been due to the coup.
    So why was Roth's assassination attempt interrupted?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Hehe, Hymen.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fredo didn't know, did he?

4. jps

jps Active Member

frankly, I'm not sure why he wasn't killed before he got to the hospital. seemed he screwed up and didn't finish the job right the first time.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was New Year's Eve--the night of the overthrow of Batista. In the scene right before, while people were partying in the street, you see all the military activity. The military was storming the hospital and foiled the assassination and shot the bodyguard before he could smother Roth with the pillow.

6. But why? Why storm the hospital?
    Why do to Roth's room?
    Why was the military storming the hospital? They were losing... remember the Cuabn dicator's announcement, about the set backs in some other town?
    I'm still confused as to why the miltary was there.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No idea. It isn't explained.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think it goes back to what Michael said to Roth and the other businessmen on the balcony about the rebels being able to overthrow the government.

My belief is that once they overthrew Batista, the rebels were looking for Americans to either kill or strong arm.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mike's henchman wanted to kill HR right after he throttled Johnny Ola (Junior Soprano), but wasn't able to do it before Roth was hauled off to the hospital.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't they imply that one of the nurses spotted the assassin? One of them is pointing at that room when the military arrives as if to indicate she knew he was there.

As for why it was the military, I've always interpreted that maybe there were there to protect Roth?

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I, too, assumed that the military was there to protect Roth. Indicative of just how bad the situation in Cuba had become, Roth wielded more power than any Cuban politician in the final days of the government.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted