1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Godfather I and II on A&E right now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 26, 2008.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And how about in II when Willie Cicci answered a Congressman's question about buffers telling him to do a hit by saying, "Yeah, there were a lot of buffers there." And the next day, when Frankie comes into the hearing and looks at the crowd, saying, "There's more people here than at a ballgame."

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Was there any real life equivalent to the Woltz character, like Tommy Dorsey was to the bandleader (and Sinatra, of course, to Fontane)? Harry Cohn, maybe, of Columbia? Or the producer of From Here to Eternity?

Or was that pure fiction?

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

"And there's Willie Cicc!"

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

"It was between the brothers, Kay."

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Made even better by the fact that Tom comes right back with "Could you have your man take me to the airport? Mr. Corleone insists on hearing bad news immediately. ... And by the way, I admire your pictures very much."

But my favorite line is when Sonny tells Michael the difference between killing someone in war and as a professional hit:

"This ain't the army where you shoot a guy a mile away. You walk right up to him --- bada bing! You blow his brains out all over your nice Ivy League suit."

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

GF II is on now.

Don Vito, played wonderfully by Robert De Niro, proved his mother wrong. In the movie's opening scene, she pleads for his life with the Don of Corleone. When he refuses, she tells him to run. Before running, though, he saw his mother shot to death by the Don's men.

He comes back on a business deal and murders the Don, but not before telling Don Ciccio his father's name was Antonio Andolini and stabbing him. God, how I love the Sicilian scenes in GF II.

7. Steak Snabler

I'm sure many of you know this, but the guy who played Genco Abbondonzza (sp?), young Vito's partner in the olive oil business (and later his consigliere) in GF II is the same guy who played Frankie Carbone in Goodfellas (the guy who got frozen in the meat truck) ...

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Son of a bitch!

A&E is now showing GF III, which is a heaping sack of shit.

9. Steak Snabler

Boy, Sophia Coppolla is a horrible actress. Even if she was a last-minute fill-in because Winona Rider backed out.

In Francis' defense, he really never wanted to make GF III. He basically agreed to do it because he was about to go bankrupt ...

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A former co-worker said III would have been better if Michael tried to hold his family together one last time; if he had to deal with today's mobsters who are willing to cut deals and rat out bosses while waging one last war against his enemies.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The whole thing with Fonda as a journalist who sleeps with Vincent seemed like just a reason for Bridget to do a nude scene.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Despite the movie sucking donkey shit, I loved Vincent Corleone-Mancini popping Joey Zasa at the San Gennaro festival in lower Manhattan.

"Joe. E. Zasa!"

Draft saved Draft deleted