1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, I wish I had written this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's a shame Bennie Blades named his son H.B. instead of Jack...we would have seen this already.

(Posnanski isn't the only one that can use Wikipedia. Speaking of which, did you know that Night Ranger, through old members and their old bands, can trace its roots back to...wait for it...Sly and the Family Stone? Never would have put those two together.)

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Totally unworthy of its own thread.

3. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

A thousand pardons, oh Grand Determiner of Thread Worthiness.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Unless you have two different IDs, you did not start this thread and do not need to seek forgiveness.

5. Big Circus

Mea culpa from the creator, then. Next time I'll think of TheSportsPredictor's infallible wisdom before taking up more of the internet's rapidly-depleting bandwidth.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Please do.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can find great writing almost every time I read Pos' blog but this was a pretty poor example.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

How old can something be and still be considered "pop culture?" I was in my mid-20s when this singer was at his peak (I didn't like syntho-pop and tuned it out as much as possible in the 1980s) and this year's college grads wouldn't be born for a couple more years. So at what point does a pop-culture reference turn from cool to being some fart lost in ancient history? We are talking a quarter century ago!

9. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I wrote the follwing in 45 seconds. I think I spent twice as long on it as Pos spent on that BLOG! posting.

Here’s the thing that happens when watch (sic) Milton Bradley: It’s more fun than a Barrel of Monkeys. He runs around like he’s got Ants in the Pants. Try to sink his Battleship and you’ll be Sorry. Your mind will Boggle as you watch him spin like a Twister in the field or Connect Four at the plate with a sing that’s as sweet as Candyland. He knows the Password, so Don’t Spill the Beans or he’ll catch you in his Mouse Trap.

10. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

If Chris Berman gets the reference, a pop culture reference can categorically be recognized as having crossed the "cool/fart lost in ancient history" divide.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Except the paragraph from Posnansnki's blog post took him all of thirty seconds to write.

12. Big Circus

I think this is a fair decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted