1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, I wish I had written this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

From Joe Posnanski's blog, re: Corey Hart.

Here’s the thing that happens when watch Corey Hart: He gets in your soul. You can’t help falling in love with the guy. Sure, you can tell by the way he plays that he’s saying, ”I am by your side,“ and ”I will give you everything in my heart,“ but to me the big thing is that he will never surrender. Put that boy in the box, give him a little love, and man oh man, he will keep chippin’ away, he will just keep waiting for you to make a mistake. And he has no ego, this is no angry young man, this is not some overpaid athlete dancing with my mirror, no. He knows the world is fire. That’s why he wears his sunglasses at night.

I know: BLOGS! And I also know that "Never Surrender" is a Corey Hart song. Still great writing.
  2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Seems a bit hackneyed, TBH.

Pos has done a lot better.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I firmly believe Poz's blog is the reason RSS feeds were invented.
  4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with you, forever_town. That wasn't Pos at his best.
  5. Big Circus

I'm sure he has. This just cracked me up after 9 hours at work.

I also think that this post is what BLOGS! are here for. So a baseball junkie like Posnanski can go and find one random player that has owned any pitcher he thinks of and write hilarious/insightful shit about them. That ain't going in the paper, but I like reading it on the Internets.
  6. Big Circus

Also, reading the comments, Rany Jazayerli has a great one about Kevin Reimer as the worst defensive outfielder of all time, describing him as "Greg Luzinski on Ambien" and talking about how he broke Stratomatic.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If Simmons had done this, this thread would be 6 pages full of uber-hate.
  8. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, but that is a pile of crap, especially for someone as good as Pos.
  9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I must be the only one who feels like it was written in jest...
  10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

"He gets in your soul?" Will he ever be allowed in a locker room again after a line like that? Reason why newspaper blogs need editing -- somebody to say, "Uh, Pos? Wanna mulligan on that one sentence?"
  11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Holy shit -- did I just read Poz get ripped on here?
    Holy shit.
  12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Hello, McFly?

All of those references, including "in your soul," are Corey Hart song references. Not the Milwaukee Brewers outfielder. The 1980s pop singer.

Stop taking BLOGS! so seriously. This is a fun thing. Why should Posnanski have to assume that everyone reading his blog missed the 1980s or has spent their lives living in a bubble?

I'm no Posnanski, but I'm not dumbing down my stuff ... not even a blog entry.
Draft saved Draft deleted