1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOD, I LOVE MY JOB!!! (Or, Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in my rear-view mirror)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sam Waller, May 5, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Re: GOD, I LOVE MY JOB!!! (Or, Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in my rear-view mirr

I had to cover a playoff doubleheader yesterday. All four starters pitched complete games -- one guy struck out 14 -- and a total of seven runs were scored. I have nothing to complain about.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Re: Angola's line about "Swamp Ass." Very deftly played. Made me laugh.

I had to hitch my boxers a bit just reading that crack.

I covered a few prep events in Texas back in the day and remember a few occasions where "swamp ass" became reality. Nothing like rivulets of sweat coursing over your body to make the words flow.

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

That's one of the "rules" of baseball that I've always disagreed with. Particularly at the high school level and below, when you can't always rely on agile infielders.

There are times -- like when the ball is popped up right on the mound -- when it is easier for the pitcher to simply stay put and make the catch, rather than hope that an infielder can race in, get his bearings and try not to trip over the mound to make the catch.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Then, for christ's sake, let me tell you about my fantasy team...

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The No. 1 pick on my fantasy team:

[​IMG]

6. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Re: GOD, I LOVE MY JOB!!! (Or, Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in my rear-view mirr

Yeah, well I covered a 29-0 playoff game last night.

The winning team batted around in the first, third and THREE TIMES in the fourth. In the 14-run fourth inning, the winning coach just stopped letting his players advance past first base on hits. There were numerous gap shots and they just had to stop at first. It was almost more insulting, in my opinion.

The losing team walked 20 batters and had eight passed balls/wild pitches. The losing team was 3-12 heading into the playoff game.

It was the most un-fun (yeah, I said un-fun) event I've ever covered. And oh yeah, I love Lubbock. It sure beats the hell out of Odessa. ;)

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Speaking of blowouts, we had a big one just a few days ago...

Louisville Eastern 43, Louisville Whitefield Academy 0
    Eastern... 1 (10) (13) 9 (10) – 43 32 0
    Whitefield...0 0 0 0 0 – 0 1 9

W – Biller (3-0).
    L – Smith (2-2).
    2B – Toby (E), Lady (E), Biller (E), Crite (E).
    3B – Jones (E), Biller (E), Harry (E).
    HR – Biller 2 (E).
    Records – Eastern 18-5, Whitefield Academy 2-9.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, you need to look at Whitefield's two victories. How bad were those teams?

9. KYSportsWriter

Louisville Waggener: 6-13

And the other win isn't listed on KHSAA.org.

10. Sam Waller

Sam Waller New Member

The series wound up going three games. The leadoff man for the team that emerged victorious had a grand slam in the first inning. It was 20-0 going to the third.

11. KYSportsWriter

How the hell did that series go three games?

12. Re: GOD, I LOVE MY JOB!!! (Or, Happiness is Lubbock, Texas, in my rear-view mirr

You've got a point for little league and such because your pitcher is typically your most competent player ... but this should be manageable for varsity and up. I remember we had an arrogant pitcher on our varsity team who decided he was going to ignore the rule and catch a popup on the third-base side. Of course, he got plowed over by the third baseman who was coming in so hard he never heard the pitcher calling for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted