1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God....I love 8-Man Football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

One of the teams we're covering out here this year goes 6-3 last year.

Coach runs the run-n-shoot....qb....3 linemen....4 wr.

shotgun......throw it all over kansas.

his goal this year....yeah, he wants to win....but he also wants to score 100.

beat a team 89-54 last year.

AVERAGED 58 a game last year.

His defensive style.....the best defense is a better offense.

Somewhere, Buddy Ryan just cringed.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Northwestern used to do that: We can't stop you, so we're going to outscore you...

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

One of our locals plays 8-man. I wasn't looking forward to watching it before their first game, but I gotta admit, 8-man is some exciting stuff.

4. statrat

statrat Member

One of the local schools in my area is starting 8-man this year. Should be interesting to watch.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wish we had some in our smaller schools. That would be a blast.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As good as 8-man is, I still think six-man is more fun to watch. It is batshit crazy and taking stats at the six-man games is insane.

7. I played it in HS. My coach was old school, so we didn't pass a lot. Put up some big numbers on the ground, though. I think we put up 50 once in my two years playing. It was fun. I was a 175-pound center and defensive guard, and I was probably one of the five heaviest guys on the team. The guy who replaced him -- a sort of well-known former college quarterback with a very well-known mullet -- had his QB throw all the time (it helps when you have Gaines Adams as your primary target). They put up some impressive numbers.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They play on 100-yard fields, right? Damn, those kids must be in shape.

You don't see that in New England. Kinda wish I could see some of this 8- and 6-man stuff. Seems wicked interesting.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Six-man fields are 80 yards by 40 yards. But yes, they have to be in good shape. The craziest thing is the running rules. The quarterback can't scramble. To rush, the ball must be handed off or pitched. So, the best athlete in six-man tends to play running back.

Good web site on six-man: www.sixmanfootball.com

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

State is thinking about starting up 8-man football. It'd be crazy. There's a TON of small h.s. in our coverage area. If they had 8-man, the number of football teams we cover would increase by God only knows how much.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I love 8-man football, too. I've got to try to get out and see some of it.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I played 8-Man in high school. It was a blast. Our star athlete had eight touchdowns one game between a couple of kickoff returns, a punt return, three rushing and two passing. We played on an 80x40 field so it wasn't always a shootout, but there was certainly some wild ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted